Completed: Vanilla Latte Socks // +My sewing retreat at AGOS

2 Nov

I am on a sock ROLL these days, you guys! Trying to up my sock drawer game before the cold weather really sets in – there’s nothing like a cozy pair of hand-knit socks to keep your feet warm! Not to mention, socks are THE BEST travel knitting project. I love that the project is small enough to fit in a Bento Bag (my Bento Bag is actually homemade and pretty terrible looking, but this is the one I want and HINT HINT MOM CHRISTMAS GIFT HINT HINT ::ahem::) so I can carry it around in my purse for whenever the maker’s urge strikes. Plus, I don’t need to carry several skeins of yarn to complete the project – or lug around a huge half-finished piece (as is with the case of a sweater). AND, sock yarn makes a great travel souvenir. Done and done.

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

I’m going to skip out of order and share my most recent sock project first (oh yes, there’s an unblogged sock project before this one hahaha) because I also want to talk about the trip I took while I was working on sock #1 from this pair! Oh yes, these are totally my travel socks.

But first, I will talk about these socks a little bit more! The pattern is Vanilla Latte Socks, which is a free pattern on Ravelry and makes for a simple top-down sock, knit in sock weight yarn. This is one of those projects that has thousands of makes, and for good reason – it’s easy, it’s straight forward, and it makes a really nice pair of socks. I like that the pattern includes different options for knitting the heel flap and finishing the toe. It was a GREAT travel project, as it didn’t require a lot of my attention, but it was interesting enough to knit so that it didn’t get boring.

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

For my socks, I knit the size small (I wear a 6.5 shoe) and followed the instructions for the Eye of Partridge heel flap and the rounded wedge toe. I knit the pattern via Magic Loop on circular needles, as I reeeeeally don’t like to travel with DPNS because my stitches always fall off!(even with the little rubber stoppers. Or they poke through the stoppers and stab me through my bag! This happened in Peru with the aforementioned Previous Pair of Socks haha) Changing the pattern to incorporate Magic Loop was as easy as just switching the needles. Seriously. Really easy. Although I would recommend if this is your first pair of socks, follow the instructions exactly as written before you start changing needle type, as patterns written for DPNs will have you put a certain number of stitches on each needle, which can get confusing if you’re a n00b. Once you figure out the anatomy of the sock, though, changing things up is a breeze.

I wanted to try self-striping yarn for this pair, and HOLY SHIT I AM INFATUATED. For those of y’all who don’t know what the deal with self-striping yarn is – those stripes are all the result of the way the yarn was dyed. I didn’t have to switch yarn colors or weave in ends or anything. Self-striping yarn is AWESOME, you guys!! Instant striped socks, wheee!! 😀 And this particular yarn is pretty cool, too – this is Jawool Color Superwash by Lang Yarns, which I’ve never heard of, but my local yarn store totally sold me on it. It comes with a little spool of reinforcement yarn, which you can hold double with your regular yarn to reinforce the toes and heels (or darn future holes with). I reinforced the toes, but not the heels – only because I forgot to when I was knitting the heels 🙂 There are tons of color options for the stripes, but I really loved the unusual color combination of this one. Since it’s fingering weight yarn, I knit the socks with size 0 needles.

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

I found the pattern really enjoyable to knit, and waiting for the next stripe color to appear was way more entertaining than I could have imagined. I started this pair en route to Portland, Maine, where I had a sewing retreat a little over a month ago. I finished the first sock exactly one week later, while I was waiting in the airport to fly home. The second sock took a couple of weeks to finish – mostly during weekly knitting group meetings, or watching TV with Landon. Not a lot of memories attached to that second sock, ha!

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

I did want to talk a little bit about that trip, because it was a really wonderful week! As I mentioned, I had a Sewing Retreat held at A Gathering of Stitches (or AGOS, as we call it 🙂 ), which is located in beautiful Portland, Maine. Y’all. I was warned by some people that I’d really like Portland, but I had NO IDEA how much I was going to fall in love with that city! Portland is absolutely amazing – it’s a beautiful town with cool little shops (like an entire shop dedicated to SOCKS, ahh!) and places to eat, there’s a big emphasis on local food and culture, and the place is so small that you can really just walk to anywhere you need. So many cool old New England houses, so many cool businesses, so much amazing coffee (my very favorite was from Tandem Coffee, which of course I brought a bag home and I’ve been trying to drink it as slooowly as possible. It’s the weirdest, yet most amazing coffee I’ve ever tasted. Trust.). If it wasn’t for the awful winters, I would move to Portland in a heartbeat. I won’t even pretend that I didn’t dream about it while I was there. I had my house picked out and everything hahaha.

agos2

So, the retreat was a pretty loose, relaxing 4 day weekend of sewing. I had 11 awesome women who showed up at the studio every morning, and each had their own individual project to work on. AGOS Studios was the perfect spot to have this – it’s a large space, with plenty of room for everyone to spread out. There were cutting tables, multiple irons (including, of course, a gravity feed iron – which I think most everyone was planning on buying one after the week was over haha! Gravity feed irons are AWESOME!), sergers and sewing machines (everyone had their own machine, whether they brought one or borrowed from the studio). Each student was given a little goody bag of small sewing supplies and notions – stuff like seam gauges and tape measures and my favorite Chaco Liner and candy. It was a really good goody bag haha. Samantha (the owner of AGOS) also had a selection of additional notions and fabric and supplies (such as thread and interfacing) on hand in case anyone needed to buy last-minute for their project.

We were provided lunch every day – and it was always something amazing and local, with dessert included. The food was REALLY REALLY good!! We had a “get to know each other and eat pizza” night the evening before the weekend officially started, which was a great way to get to know all the people who showed up, and learn a bit about each other. And we had a multiple-course, incredible farm-to-table dinner at The Well at Jordan’s Farm on the last night. I still have dreams about that meal, tbh.

agos3

All the students who signed up for the retreat were just amazing. There was a huge variety of projects and skill levels – from beginners to people who have been sewing for 40+ years, learning basic construction, tailoring, fitting, and even making jeans (I had 2 students who made Ginger jeans! And another who made some awesome red pants). I wasn’t sure how exactly the weekend would work out, since there was only 1 of me to help 11 people, but it ended up working really well! Everyone was fairly self-sufficient, and while I certainly stayed busy, there was never really a long wait if anyone had a question. People were also keen to help each other out, which is my favorite part because I love eavesdropping in on that shit and learning a thing or two myself! We had one woman at the retreat who wasn’t a student, but just there to check things out the first couple of days – her name is Adele, and she rents studio space at AGOS and is a master at bridal alterations (or, rather, a master at every sewing project she puts her hands on. Adele is amazing!). Adele actually made me a custom sloper; she wants to teach a class on this technique that she perfected and she needed a body model. The accuracy of that sloper was incredible – I think the only fitting we did needed a small change to the shoulder, and that was it. Plus, she drafted it up in about 20 minutes, on less than a dozen measurements (it’s my understanding that body slopers usually need something like 40 measurements). Pretty neat stuff! Plus, I have a sloper to play around with now, yay! 😀

I had such an amazing time at the retreat – hanging out with and getting to know all the awesome people who signed up, and falling in love with Portland! Samantha was really great to work with, we got along right off the bat and she was so helpful with any Portland-related questions I had. Plus, she put together this entire retreat on her own – from the space, to the catering, to booking my AirBNB for me (which was ADORABLE, btw!). I just had to show up on time haha. I’m a shitty planner, so this was perfect for me. While I like doing project-based classes, I really thought the loose layout of this retreat worked out really well, since everyone got to work on projects that they were actually excited about. Plus, it was really fun to go from talking about finishing knits, to hammering in jeans rivets, to figuring out the kinks in a FBA. That might sound stressful to some teachers, but I was in heaven!

agos1

Post-retreat, I took a Megabus up to Boston and spent a couple of days there before flying home (at that airport was where I finished my first sock haha). That was more of a personal trip than anything, so I’m not going to go into detail about everything I did there. I did, however, spend my days with Jenny, where I saw the Appleton Dress pattern right before it was released! And I had Shabu Shabu with a bunch of awesome Boston sewing bloggers! And I had drinks with Norma and we talked about bras! And I got to go shopping at Grey’s Fabric and Gather Here! And I saw robots at the MIT Museum! So yeah, Boston was great!

So yeah, good times in September! Like I said, I reallllly loved Portland, and I am dying to go back! Samantha and I have talked about doing another retreat for 2016, and hopefully we’ll be able to work something out. I really loved doing the bring-your-own-project style that we had going on, and I’m certainly keen to do more. If you’d like to read more about the retreat and see more photos, Sam has a post up on the AGOS Blog about her experience. And if you know of any other places where I should be stretching my feelers about one of these sorts of retreats in 2016 – holler! I’d love to travel more for this sort of class next year, I’m just not sure where to start asking!

Self-Striped Vanilla Latte Socks

I’m actually headed back out this week for another sewing class – the Pants Making Intensive at Workroom Social! YAY!! I am really excited to see the new space that Jennifer has, and super excited to get to making some pants! Speaking of which, I think we have one more space open in that class – so if you’re a last-minute kinda person and were thinking about signing up, go check it out 🙂 In the meantime, I will see y’all next week!

31 Responses to “Completed: Vanilla Latte Socks // +My sewing retreat at AGOS”

1. tmgl1982@gmail.com November 2, 2015 at 7:44 am #

Hi again, your retreat sounds awesome! I live about 2 hours away from Portland , just across the border on Canada on an Island , that you have to take a ferry trip for 1 1/2 hours to get to! 2400 people live here year around! I understand the New England coast is fabulous for sure! St. Andrews nb, has a fabric art show every fall you may want to look it up! It’s just across the Calais Me border! Thanks for all your sharing ! Tina

Sent from my iPhone

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:33 pm #

Oh yeah, the New England coast is pretty wonderful! And, ooh, St Andrews looks so lovely!

2. shesewsswell November 2, 2015 at 9:13 am #

Workroom Social and the Pants Making Intensive is on my list for 2016, I just need the dates to be released so I can request time off… Damn job. Oh, learning to knit is also on the 2016 goals list…. One of my legs is bigger than the other, I just realized I could make a bigger sock for the left! As always, you and your people are a plethora of inspiration to me. Keep being you. 🙂

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:38 pm #

Hopefully Jennifer and I will get our heads together for 2016 dates while I’m there, so I will be sure to announce those as soon as they are set in stone 🙂

Yay for making knitting one of your goals! You are going to LOVE it. Custom knit socks that fit your feet/legs exactly the way you like are the best.

3. Vera November 2, 2015 at 10:27 am #

Those socks are super cute and comfy looking, the colors are beautiful. I enjoyed your description of the retreat, I am actually going to my first sewing event, your pants making intensive, this weekend……makes it sound fun and welcoming and educational all rolled into one, not that I was nervous 😱 or anything. Honestly, I am really, really excited. Sock projects packed for the trip!

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm #

Oh that’s awesome!! I am super excited about the intensive this weekend – I think we are going to have an awesome time 🙂 These weekends are REALLY fun and you are gonna meet the best people! Arghh I can’t wait!

4. Beth November 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

This is my favorite basic sock pattern and, I think, where I first learned the eye of partridge heel — which is now my “go to.” Like you, I knit with either 0’s or sometimes 1’s. Tighter knit, firmer fabric, better-wearing socks, yes? And, by the way, Great Socks — And, if you loved the self-striping yarn, does your LYS have any Schoppel Wolle Zauberball or Crazy Zauberball yarn? Impossible to get the socks to match (love!) and it’s just totally wearable art!

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:42 pm #

I think Eye of Partridge heel might be my new go-to as well. It’s super pretty and fun to knit 🙂

I don’t think my LYS has the Zauberball yarn, however, I did buy some as my souvenir in Portland! GOD that is a crazy fun ball of color! And it’s going to be my next knitting project, so I’m really excited to see how it knits up 😀

5. Alette November 2, 2015 at 12:10 pm #

Your socks are well made and so colorfull ,they make anyone wearing them feel good !

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you! They do make me happy when I wear them 😀

6. Alison November 2, 2015 at 2:07 pm #

Those socks look great. I like how they don’t quite match.

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Thanks! I like that about them, too 🙂

7. TerryAnne November 2, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

The retreat looks like it was so much fun. If you ever decide to do one in San Francisco or the Bay Area I am so there!
    Love the socks. I’ve had to start two at a time magic looping mine because otherwise the second sock languishes on the needles like, forever. I’ll have to try the self striping yarn and see that if that helps. 🙂

• LLADYBIRD November 2, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

I want to start two at a time socks, just so I can learn something new! I don’t mind knitting one at a time, because then I can improve on the first one, but I imagine that might get old eventually 🙂 I did buy another circular, so I’m like, halfway there. Haha.

8. Becky Thompson November 3, 2015 at 5:20 am #

I just got back from the 2015 Quilt Festival in Houston last Friday (posted in my blog through my WP profile). Even torrential downpours and tornados couldn’t keep me (and 60,000 other obsessed quilters) away. And it was a total blast. Because of you, I bought a gravity feed iron and a dress form!!! You cost me a lot of money sister. Anyway, next year the festival theme will be Quilt! Knit! Stitch! QKS is a new idea to expand this festival (as if it’s not already the biggest in the world) to draw in knitters and sewers alike. I’m thrilled about this. Even now, there’s a ton of vendors and booths that have nothing to do with quilting (like my dress form). When I heard of this new theme, I thought of you. You could do a class! It will be 3-6 Nov 16 in Houston and they will be adding info soon on their website quilts dot com. It would be awesome if you were there to start their first attempt at this off right. 🙂

On a side note, my mom lives in Camden, TN and wants me to travel there to pick up an antique headboard she has. I told her probably next spring so maybe hubs and I will make a Nashville weekend out of it and we can buy you and Landon lunch!

• LLADYBIRD November 3, 2015 at 8:49 am #

Ah, yeah, I heard so much about Quilt Festival! Glad to see you ponied up for the iron and dress form 😉 You will NOT regret those purchases! I’d take my gravity feed to bed with me for cuddles if there wasn’t already someone occupying the other side hahaha 🙂 That’s an awesome tip about the next festival in 2016! I will definitely look into that for sure, thanks for the head’s up!

And hell yeah, if you’re in Camden you should totally make a pit stop through Nashville as well! We actually live west of Nashville in Kingston Springs (maybe 20-30 miles east of Dickson), so we’re already on the same side of the state 🙂 Landon and I certainly aren’t gonna say no to lunch! 🙂

9. Em November 3, 2015 at 6:25 pm #

Gather Here! Yay! I never see it getting love in the blogosphere, but man, it is the BEST little knitting and sewing shop. When I lived in Boston I took a ton of classes there (and spent a ton of money) and I just adored it.

• LLADYBIRD November 10, 2015 at 11:16 am #

I LOVED that little shop! So cute – both the shop and the selection. And the ladies working there were fucking awesome. I’m so glad I was able to swing by while I was in Boston!

10. Em November 3, 2015 at 6:28 pm #

Also, please come teach a class in the DMV — DC/Maryland/Virginia. We are devoid of fabric stores, but maybe someone has a venue suggestion. There sure are enough women who sew around here!

• LLADYBIRD November 10, 2015 at 11:26 am #

I’d love to visit that area for sure!

• Kalle November 16, 2015 at 11:56 am #

Well, I was going to leave my own comment, but I’ll just tag on to this one, since it is perfect!

I am opening a sewing workspace and fabric shop in Old Town Alexandria, VA (right outside of DC) spring 2016, and would LOVE for you to do a workshop here!!

11. iloveshoes November 4, 2015 at 10:58 am #

I love your socks. I have been knitting for about 7 years and in the past two years have totally devoted myself to it. I miss sewing, though. How do you balance both hobbies?

• LLADYBIRD November 10, 2015 at 11:30 am #

That’s easy! I save knitting for when I want to be social (since i can’t drag my sewing machine along, ha), or for watching TV, or for traveling. Otherwise, I dedicate my at-home time to sewing! Works out pretty well for me 🙂

12. Maria Bywater November 4, 2015 at 11:44 am #

I’m inspired to go on a sewing retreat. Thanks for all the lovely details.

• LLADYBIRD November 10, 2015 at 11:31 am #

Yay! You are going to love it 😀

13. Grace November 4, 2015 at 1:45 pm #

Oh man, whenever someone says they love Portland, my first instinct is that they must be talking about Portland Maine. Whenever I think of it I am reminded of summers in the 90’s spent walking around browsing in record stores, searching for vintage telecasters, and the smell of amber incense. One of my all time favorite rayon batik challis shift dresses was bought in Portland and several of my favorite albums from my high school years. Memories!

Anyway, I love the idea of a bring-your-own-project style retreat. Sometimes I just wanna work around other people for the fun and motivation.

• LLADYBIRD November 10, 2015 at 11:36 am #

I feel the same way! love taking classes, but whenever I *have* to do a certain project is exactly when I lose interest in it! So a bring-your-own-project type class is ideal for me. Sometimes it’s nice to just be around other people for the social aspect 🙂

1. Coral Lace Watson Bra (+ upcoming workshops!) | LLADYBIRD - January 15, 2016

[…] THREE Other workshop! In April, I’ll be in Portland, ME, to teach another open-sewing weekend at A Gathering of Stitches! I had SOOO much fun teaching this open workshop last year, and I’m super delighted to come back for a second round! The workshop is in Portland, ME, and starts Wednesday, April 13 for a pizza + booze get to know you night, then four days (4/14 – 4/17) of awesome fun sewing times! What I love most about this workshop is that it isn’t specific project-based – you get to pick whatever project you want to bring, and sew away in the beautiful shared space, use the cool equipment (like the gravity feed iron), and hang out and socialize with everyone else. And, of course, I’ll be on hand to provide assistance and ~expertise~, as well as comic relief and general cheerleading 🙂 Whether you want to make a pair of jeans, tailor a coat, whip up a bra, get some help with fitting and making muslins, or just want to take a solo sewing hobby and make it social for a weekend – this is the class for you! Plus, Maine is SUPER beautiful (truth, if it weren’t for the winters, my southern ass would figure out a way to move there in a heartbeat. I already have my house picked out and everything haha) and full of such delicious food. For more info on the class, visit A Gathering of Stitches. Official registration isn’t live until February 8th at 12PM EST, fyi, but this gives some time to plan and save before worrying that it will sell out 🙂 (it sold out last time. Actually, we oversold! Whoops! I loved all 11 of y’all though! ♥). If you want to read a brief write-up of my experience with the class last year, you can find that here. […]

2. Completed: Skyp Socks | LLADYBIRD - January 29, 2016

[…] Zauberball, which I picked up at Knitwit Yarn Shop in Portland, Maine, when I was there for my sewing retreat in September. I was looking for a unique yarn and this is definitely unique. I’ve never seen anything like […]

3. Upcoming Classes: Let’s Hang Out + Sew! | LLADYBIRD - June 22, 2016

[…] a super fun, pick-your-project sewing workshop weekend at Pintuck & Purl! Similar to my prior retreats at A Gathering of Stitches (which, btw, I will be back – but probably not until 2017, due to schedule conflicts. Wah!), […]

4. New Workshops for 2017! (plus some workshop FAQs) | LLADYBIRD - November 22, 2016

[…] this time in beautiful Leesburg, VA at Finch Sewing Studio! This is the same concept as my other open sewing workshops – there is no set project, you just bring whatever you wanna work on! This shorter weekend […]