Completed: Deer + Doe Myosotis Dress

26 Aug

Welp, I see that it has been 3 months since my last post haha! Honestly not trying to kill my own blog but it looks like I’m causing a slow death regardless.

ANYWAY

I have a new project! Yay! This is also 1/2 of my Outfit Along project – the sewing portion. The knitting portion is, unfortunately, still unfinished. More on that in a minute, I want to talk about the dress!

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

I actually started this dress back in 2018 – I was inspired by Fiona’s gorgeous white version and immediately wanted to make one for myself. I ordered the Myosotis Dress from Deer & Doe, and a lovely white rayon lawn from Mood Fabrics to make it up. I got as far as cutting the fabric pieces and then… just kind of gave up. I’m not sure what exactly caused the flame to burn out – but I stuck it in a drawer and left it alone for the winter. I definitely still had every intention to sew it – it survived a pre-move purge and was shuttled from one house to the next – but not really any current desire. I think I realized that the style + color weren’t really something I wanted to wear (looking at Fiona’s post again, I still think the dress is great but I also don’t know WHAT I was thinking when i decided to make it for myself as it is absolutely, definitely not something I would necessarily wear myself), but since I had already committed and cut the fabric I felt the best solution was to sew it up and at least then I could donate the dress to someone if I still didn’t like it.

So, that’s a long, boring-ass story about how the dress started. This year, when Andi and I planned the OAL, I immediately knew the Myosotis was going to be my sewing WIP. I got the pieces out, and had everything sewn up with a couple of days.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Now, the first rendition of the dress post-sewing looks completely different than the final version. I had a feeling that I was going to want to change the color, but I wanted to give the white version a fair fighting chance before I made that decision. As far as sewing – this was a simple, efficient make. I cut a size 36, with no pattern adjustments. I made version A, with aaaaall the ruffles, and added slim waist ties to pull in the waist a little bit (I can’t take credit for this inspiration, again, this was something I saw + liked on Fiona’s dress!). I sewed all the seams with a fine 70/10 needle and serged the seam allowances. Even though I was fairly certain I was going to dye the dress, I still chose to use white thread since I wasn’t sure what the final color would be. Since the thread is polyester, that meant it would not take the dye – meaning the topstitching would end up contrasting. I was aware of this going into the sewing, and just made sure to be extra careful that my topstitching was even and nice-looking.

One of the biggest complaints I read about this pattern is that people seem to really hate all the gathering. Y’all, I don’t know what kind of lazy sewers are out there but honestly it’s really not that bad and goes together really fast.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Once I finished the dress, I tried it on to confirm that the style was not going to work for me. Again, it’s a beautiful and romantic look – which isn’t how I like to dress. Furthermore, the fine, lightweight fabric was essentially see-through (as clearly seen on my dressform). I’m no stranger to dressing like an absolute hussy in the summer, but even this was a bit outside of my comfort level (and before you get at me with crazy suggestions like “adding a lining” or “wearing a slip,” let me remind you that summer here is very hot and I try to get away with wearing as few layers as possible, ha!).

Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

I knew I’d never wear the dress as it was, so I decided to experiment with dyeing it using coral Rit dye! I followed the instructions for doing this in the washing machine, using about 3/4 of the bottle and allowing it to agitate for about 50 minutes. The resulting color is VERY saturated – much more me! – and also takes the edge off the sheerness so that I can wear this dress without looking like I’m trying to win a wet t-shirt(dress?) contest. I should also report that I was dismayed to discover the dye turned my washing machine pink, despite running a couple of loads with bleach + old towels afterward (as instructed by the bottle). I own my washing machine, so it’s not a huge deal, but it was kinda lame regardless. That all being said, after a couple months of regular laundry, the washing machine is no longer pink whatsoever (I should also did – and did not transfer any dye to my other clothes). So it does eventually come out! Now, the dress itself – I have to wash it by itself as the dye still bleeds. I wash it in the sink using Soak rinseless wash (if you don’t already own this, do yourself a favor and invest. It’s marketed toward knitters but I use it for all my hand-washing, including lingerie, and it RULES) to prevent it from dyeing an entire load of laundry. My kitchen sink is stainless steel so I have not noticed any dye transfer by using this method.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Here is the dress after dyeing! It was almost good but I tried it on one last time and decided the sleeve ruffles had to go.

I cut them off, plus a few more inches so the sleeves would be cap-length. These were turned under and hemmed – using white thread, to match the rest of the topstitching.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

The finished dress is definitely much more my style! The saturated coral color is one of my favorites for summer, and loose, swishy shape is perfect for the extreme heat we are experiencing lately. I’m actually surprised at how much I enjoy wearing this dress – it’s still a slight departure from my usual style, but it is a fun little way to change things up.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

So that’s my finished sewn garment for the OAL – what about my knitted garment? Well. I had an Improv sweater waiting in WIP purgatory that I had all intentions of finishing for this OAL. I had started it about 3-4 years ago (back when I lived in an apartment in West Nashville)(ooh and here I am back in West Nashville IN MY OWN HOUSE look at how things go full circle yay), got about halfway down the body and decided I didn’t like how loose the fit was. Rather than unknit, I just left it in my knitting basket. Upon rediscovering for the OAL, I tried it on again and was fine with the sizing so decided to finish that.

Unfortunately, since this sweater has been out of my queue for so long, I seem to have lost all the notes I made with the math for sizing. I was able to finish the body, but the sleeves are a little slower going as I had to work out the equations for decreasing, and also try the sweater on frequently to make sure things aren’t going haywire. It is working out fine and I will certainly finish it – it’s just slow-going. At this point, the sweater is too bulky to comfortably carry around outside the house (and again, there’s that whole issue of trying it on as I’m knitting), which means it doesn’t go with me when I travel – which is frequently! AND, in the meantime, another WIP that I started right before the OAL had a major error that required a lot of unknitting so I’ve been focusing on that. So, I didn’t finish my knitted sweater – but I plan to in time for sweater season! Which to me encompasses the general spirit of the OAL that I was aiming for!

I think that’s all for this make! Lord, I don’t know how I manage to take a simple dress and turn it into a giant blog post of verbal diarrhea. If you’re wondering, I’m like this IRL too when people try to talk to me. What can I say, I’m from the South haha. Mindless chatter is our love language.

Coral Rayon Lawn Myosotis Dress

** Note: The fabrics + RIT dye used in this post were provided to me by Mood Fabrics, in exchange for my participation in the Mood Sewciety Blog (oh yeah, MSN moved!). All opinions are my own!And extra big thanks to my friend Jennifer for being a real pal and taking these photos for me when I was in Brooklyn last month for recent Jeans Making Intensive class at Workroom Social! Which, btw – 2020 for WS dates are listed! Yay! More dates to come as a I finalize them!

35 Responses to “Completed: Deer + Doe Myosotis Dress”

1. mertxelasierra August 26, 2019 at 5:00 am #

Hey!! I missed you! Welcome back! That dress is gorgeous, it also inspired me (to copy it , hahaha) and I ended cutting the skirt off and making a blouse… I was too ruffled! But it looks great on you! I think the fabric is a very good match (mine was to stiff), this pattern requires a soft thin fabric with a good hang…
    I’d like to see YOUR OWN HOUSE (you have only posted about the bathroom, haven’t you?), btw… after seeing your moves all around Tenesee, we deserve to see your own house, don’t we?
    Cheers!

• LLADYBIRD August 26, 2019 at 7:25 am #

Yeah, this pattern definitely works best with a fabric that has some drape! As far as my house – my bathroom is the only room I’m ready to share right now, i will post the others once I feel they are complete 🙂

2. Nothy August 26, 2019 at 5:14 am #

Add salt when dying a garment in the future. Stir it, abour 1/4 cup, into the hot water. It helps to set the colour so it wont run afterwards. Honestly works very well nut usually takes a few washes.

• LLADYBIRD August 26, 2019 at 7:25 am #

Oh, I did add a full cup of salt when I was dyeing! It didn’t do shit for preventing color transfer lol

3. LinB August 26, 2019 at 7:47 am #

“Verbal Diarrhea” is going onto my list of Worst Ice Cream Flavors/Worst Beer Flavors Ever.

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:18 am #

But best descriptor for long run-on sentences / too much info amirite? 😛

4. Kathleen August 26, 2019 at 9:27 am #

Great to see you back! Good call on the dress. Coral and cap sleeves are the way to go. It looks lovely on you!

5. Deborah August 26, 2019 at 9:43 am #

Glad to see you back! Thought you might have given up the blog.

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:19 am #

No, I just find myself wanting to spend less and less time at a computer to write the posts lol.

6. kssews August 26, 2019 at 10:09 am #

GREAT call on the color and sleeve shortening! I like this dress on almost everyone who makes it, but know I’d never make it. It’s so hard sometimes to just admire from afar in the sewing world :-p

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:20 am #

This is something I’m really pushing on myself! It’s hard to stay out of the frenzy with a popular pattern (or fabric) even if you know that it’s not something you would necessarily wear yourself. We got this!

7. Leslie August 26, 2019 at 10:41 am #

I am glad to see that you are back to blogging. More than once I have rescued a garment by dying it. I am partial to Procion dye from Dharma Trading. It uses warm tap water, and I usually use a plastic bucket or stainless steel pot. They also carry both Synthrapol Detergent and Dharma Professional Textile Detergent, which is essential for getting the excess dye out.

• Leslie August 26, 2019 at 11:59 am #

Getting the excess dye out is the hardest part of fabric dying, especially for dark colors. Here is what I do: When the dying is complete rinse in cold water several times, then let the fabric sit in cold water for awhile. Drain the water, and fill the bucket with hot water and some Synthrapol detergent. Agitate the fabric in it for a bit and then let it sit in it for an hour or more. Then rinse in warm water until the water runs almost clear.

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:21 am #

I didn’t want to use a bucket since that involves a lot of stirring, and I just wanted the machine to do all the work 🙂 I am happy with how it ended up, and don’t mind hand washing for the next while to protect my laundry from getting stained.

8. steelyseamstress August 26, 2019 at 2:10 pm #

Wow, your dress is really bright! I couldn’t believe that you’d actually died it to get that colour. Not surprising that the washing-machine needed a lot of runs to get rid of that colour. Personally I’ve never had the courage to die in the machine and always do it by hand. I don’t mind a weird coloured washing-up bowl! Love the white to-stitching, by the way – it’s a nice touch!

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:22 am #

Yeah, I was a little intimidated but honestly I didn’t want to have to do all the stirring that is involved when you dye in a bucket! The washing machine was SO much easier (and prob most of the reason why the color is so bright and even). And it’s my machine, so a little pink stain won’t do anything except delight me every time I throw in a load of laundry lol

9. Inclement August 26, 2019 at 4:17 pm #

We LIKE your chatter-y posts! (And some of us who aren’t from the South do this too, lol.)

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:22 am #

I wish I could find y’all when I’m out traveling! I always want to chat up strangers and depending on where I am, I get a lot of side eye and “what are you trying to sell me?” vibes haha!

10. Kanza August 26, 2019 at 7:27 pm #

Great save for your dress and it looks just perfect for you! The other, which didn’t suit your style, looked like you might wear it to a wedding and then hang it in the closet, never to be seen again! I’ve haven’t dyed any thing for years…never had good luck with it but I see that there are a lot of new products that probably work better. I always enjoy reading your posts; they are so complete with the details and photos!

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:23 am #

i actually think the RIT dye is still the same stuff from eons ago! i don’t know if they ‘improved’ it much beyond making it a liquid instead of a powder. It worked great and I’m glad I dyed it as I definitely would not have worn that dress the way it was originally finished. And thank you!

11. Heather Myers August 26, 2019 at 7:28 pm #

This looks great! 👍 and glad to see a post from you. The color definitely makes it wonderful! I did finish an AOL dress – sleeve fitting issue had stalled me – and a knitted baseball jacket which needed pocket cuffs, front extensions for the zipper and assembly – on time! I didn’t post, posting instructions stalled me😬. The sweater is rather big, very warm but I’m NOT altering. I too lost my instructions!

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:24 am #

Ooooh your sweater sounds AWESOME though!!! I want to see!

12. Kanza August 26, 2019 at 7:33 pm #

I love your posts and look forward to reading them! Your blog was the first one I read and…one of the best!! Love your dress and how you saved it–well worth it, It looks so comfortable for warm weather! I would say! I’ve not had good experiences with dying but that was many years ago. My tie/dye stuff (popular a long time ago too) never stayed bright and pretty. Sounds like products and methods have improved!

• LLADYBIRD August 27, 2019 at 10:26 am #

Thank you! I’m sure the dye will fade over time but that doesn’t bother me too much as I find myself getting tired of clothes (not all clothes, but most of them!) long before their life cycle is complete. Plus, i think there is something charming about old/faded clothes that have lived their best life – especially when they got that way from actual wear and age, not purchased pre-ripped and stained 😛

13. Lisa G :-) August 28, 2019 at 9:10 am #

The final dress is perfect! My husband and I are sitting in 417 Union waiting on our breakfast and I showed him one of the pictures, telling him “this is the blogger I follow who’s in Nashville.” He said the pic looks more like NYC. I kept reading and dangit if he isn’t right! 😂😂 Please don’t stop blogging, even if it’s only sporadic – you’re inspiring and refreshing!

• LLADYBIRD September 5, 2019 at 9:51 am #

LOL your husband has a good eye for Brooklyn!

14. Merry Pinbender September 5, 2019 at 4:17 am #

Wow! Nice save. The color really looks great on you, so does the sleeve edit. I always think hot weather garments and anything more than short sleeves just don’t make sense. Isn’t that why we have layering? You can add but you can’t just rip off a too long sleeve.
    So glad you’re still blogging. I’ll take sporadic over nothing. Sadly more blogs are dying out as people get busy and Instagram takes less time. It’s not the same. I don’t have to tell you why, I know you get it. If you need any encouragement you should know your blog is one of the best out there (plus it’s not overly commercial like a few others). Maybe just give yourself permission to post quick bits between fewer long ones? Please if you can keep it on life support because I would really, really miss reading and being inspired by you!
    And damnit I hope not to miss you next time you’re out to northern California! Maybe next year? 😊

• LLADYBIRD September 5, 2019 at 9:58 am #

I agree about the long sleeves on hot weather garments – I only want a long sleeve to ward off a/c chill (which is straight-up ABUSED down here!), but layers come off when i go back outside! I understand long sleeves for something seasonally transitional, but hot-weather-summer garments? Naw. Don’t get it.

Yeah, it is sad that blogs are dying off. Honestly, my biggest problem is making the time to sit down and write a post, since I spend so little time on a computer now (and that was why I started blogging in the first place – too much computer time, and I was looking for a way to fill my days). I also hate taking pictures of myself, and, if i’m being 100% for real here, the lack of interaction also has a lot to do with it. Views and comments are down, which can make you feel like you’re screaming into a void. I definitely prefer it over Instagram – both in terms of reading and posting – but it’s true that Instagram is just easier overall. Not better, just easier. I have tried giving myself permission to make shorter posts but I can’t actually bring myself to do it – I just talk a lot! (like you see in this comment LOLZ). Right now, my main focus is to not kill it and also not apologize when breaks do happen. We’ll see!

I will be back in Northern CA a couple of times next year; finalizing dates right now but I’m hoping to have the whole ~tour~ announced before the end of this year!

• Deborah September 6, 2019 at 2:49 pm #

Keep up the blogging. I love the longer posts. Yes, many have gone to Instagram but quite honestly, some of the Instagram posts are not filled with much good information, just silliness at times (kitty ears and Boomerang seem infantile). One of the blogs I regularly follow has gone that route (of course) with the Swipe Up. I particularly do not love shopping on a phone. Give me a laptop or desktop for more stability. Impulse purchase is to easy on a phone. Love your blog!

15. fionaparker17 September 6, 2019 at 4:02 am #

I love how this turned out Lauren, a lesson to us all in persevering and how we can make a pattern our own! I really like it without the sleeve ruffles. I’ve got some red and white striped linen stashed away that I might use for a short sleeve version now I’ve seen this

• LLADYBIRD September 9, 2019 at 7:54 am #

Oh that sounds adorable as hell, you must!

16. Eliza September 6, 2019 at 3:17 pm #

I love your blog, Lauren! Please don’t let it die. 😦 I understand that many are going to Instagram but I love the information that comes with a well written blog. I have learned so much from your posts over the years and, if I am to be honest, usually read but rarely post.
    Dammit, we need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LLADYBIRD September 9, 2019 at 7:55 am #

Aw thank you for this comment! You made me feel all glowy 🙂

17. Donna September 10, 2019 at 10:47 pm #

So nice to find a new blog post from you, Lauren! Looking forward to seeing your sweater when you finish it. I have the Myosotis pattern and can only dream of making one. I’m stuck in pants and polo mode, making chinos for my daughter, as well as polo shirts to go with. She is an engineer, often in the lab, and has chosen chinos and polo shirts as her “uniform” of choice.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )