V1419 Sewalong: Fabric Selection

29 Sep

Vogue Patterns V1419 Ralph Rucci coat pattern sewalong

Good morning & happy Monday, sewalongers! Today, we are going to talk about my favorite part of coat-making (or, really – any sewing project πŸ™‚ ) – fabric selection! Forreal, I could spend all day perusing fabrics and never feel like I’ve seen enough!
(psst – if you’re just here for the discount code, it’s at the bottom of this post πŸ™‚ FYI)

Before we get too ahead of ourselves, though, let’s take a minute and look at the original garment:

coat inspiration

A couple things that immediately come to mind when I see this picture-
1. As far as coats go, there is not a lot of ease in this guy. This is not your wear-everywhere-and-pile-the-thick-sweaters-underneath sort of coat – it’s very fitted and the shape is quite dramatic. Something to keep in mind while choosing your fabric!
2. To get that dramatic shape, we need a choose a fabric with quite a stiff drape and a very firm hand. The original coat is made of a sort of heavy wool garbadine backed with a stiff wool flannel. The resulting fabric is very substantial – stiff and sturdy enough to hold it’s shape. If you make this coat in a fabric with a softer drape, you will not get the same end result. This could be good or bad, depending on how you want the finished coat to look!

Still having problems wrapping your head around the whole drape factor? Don’t know if you even want a coat that’s this dramatic and structured? Go ahead and start your muslin, using a fabric that is a similar weight to what you have in mind (if you can’t find muslin fabric with a stiff enough drape, try inexpensive cotton twill or even home decor fabric). That will give you a good idea of the drape you need to get the coat you want. For more information on fabric drape, check out this post I wrote a couple months ago!

Now let’s talk about possible fabric choices! With all big projects like this, I URGE you to swatch before you commit to anything! You don’t want to spend a lot of money on coating fabric, only to find out that the drape wasn’t as stiff as you were anticipating (been there, done that! And you can’t return fabric most of the time, argh!). Especially when it comes to the contrast for this coat – you want to make sure the colors work together, that the coating is the right weight/drape/hand, and that you actually *like* the way it looks in real life. I’m recommending these fabrics based on the website descriptions, but please don’t take my word for the gospel until you’ve actually touched it in real life.

Also, please keep in mind that this coat is UNLINED. You will want to choose a fabric that can easily slide over your arms – or you will need to underline the coat with something that serves that purpose. As far as I know, there’s not a way to completely line this particular coat (with all the insides hidden and all that). We will be covering underlining in this sewalong, we will NOT be covering lining. Consider yourself warned!

FOR WINTER-WEIGHT COATS WITH A STIFF DRAPE:
virgin wool
For a dense and warm coat with a nice stiff hand, you can’t go wrong with virgin wool. This fabric is not quite as stiff as the original – it will still hold that nice bell shape at the sleeves and skirt, but with softer folds. Virgin wool is actually what I bought for my coat – in a beautiful lipstick red πŸ™‚

felt
Another great option that will provide lots of warmth and structure is wool felt. Definitely swatch this – you don’t want it to be too thick for all those seams!

boiled wool
Similar to wool felt but not as dense is heavy flannel coating. Check out that purple!

wool twill
I really love wool twill for a nice dense coating. Wool twill comes in many weights, so make sure it’s heavy enough to give the structure this coat needs.

wool twill
Here’s another nice, heavy wool twill – this one is from Marc Jacobs!

wool coating
Classic wool coatings, such as this dark turquoise solid coating will also work, as long as they are stiff enough to give the effect you want.

plum coating
This plum coating is pre interfaced!

velvet
Looking forsomething a little more fancy? Up the luxe factor with this italian velvet.

metallic brocade
Another great fabric option for this pattern (one that I believe Meg is using for her coat – although hers is this beautiful double-sided brocade!) is brocade. I love this metallic brocade!

brocade
Also, this floral brocade if you’re dying to stand out a little more.

silk brocade
Or you could go all out with this bright pink ribbed silk brocade, because YES.

FOR WINTER-WEIGHT COATS WITH A SOFTER DRAPE:
silk wool
How gorgeous is this silk wool? This fabric would give you a much softer drape than the ones above – think less of an exaggerated bell shape for the skirt and sleeves, and softer folds at the arms.

cashmere
Of course, you can’t go wrong with black cashmere coating – a true classic!

cashmere-wool
Doesn’t this wool cashmere coating just look SO snuggly? It’d be like wearing a blanket 24/7.

boiled wool
For a lighter wool weight with a very soft drape, consider boiled wool. I just love this bright purple color!

FOR A LIGHTER-WEIGHT COAT:
cotton twill
Those of y’all with milder winters – no worries, I’ve got ya covered! You have a few options for making this coat in a lighter weight, while still retaining the dramatic shape. First up – consider cotton twill! I love this organic cotton twill – especially that hot pink color, yes! – but any cotton twill will work as long as it’s heavy enough to hold it’s shape. Try to avoid anything with lycra (or any stretch), as it will make sewing this coat more difficult.

silk faille
You could also make a very beautiful, very dressy lightweight coat out of silk faille.

cotton sateen
Want the shine of the silk without the price tag? Try cotton sateen – again, be sure you are getting one with no stretch and a heavier weight.

denim
I’m thinking this coat would also look really cool (in a super casual way) if it was made up in denim! Am I crazy? Give it some gold topstitching and brass buttons and it’s like the fanciest denim jacket in the world. This heavyweight Theory denim even comes pre-interfaced!

Obviously there are many, many more options for coating – including non-natural fibers (I’m not linking these because I personally don’t like to wear or sew with polyester anything! Sorry!) – but this should be enough to get the ideas flowing. In the meantime, let’s talk about underlining and contrast fabrics.

FOR UNDERLINING AND/OR CONTRAST:
For my coat, I knew I needed to underline with something because I’d otherwise have a difficult time pulling the coat on. I initially thought about using silk chaurmeuse, because I just love it, but ultimately decided to stick with the stiff drape theme and use silk taffeta. Silk taffeta is also recommended for all the contrast (as is chaurmeuse, but just between you and me – I don’t recommend the latter. Unless you just looove sewing bias chaurmeuse binding; in that case, don’t let me stop you!), so I actually bought two colors. I love silk taffeta! Obviously, you can use poly taffeta if that’s all your budget allows – but I like the added warmth that silk provides, so that’s why I went with that. Anyway, if you are underlining – you will want to buy the same amount of underlining as you are coating fabric. For contrast, buy whatever the pattern instructs you to buy.

silk taffeta
Check out this kelly green silk taffeta from Oscar de la Renta! Swanky! For something a little more understated, there is also this caviar black silk taffeta from Ralph Lauren.

poly taffeta
Love the look of silk taffeta but hate the price? There are also some beautiful polyester taffetas available, including this cool checked taffeta. This coat really isn’t suitable for plaids as the outside fabric – but as far as the contrast is concerned? Go for it!

For those of y’all who are not underlining and only need contrast for the binding, you might also consider shantung or dupioni. On a super budget? Check out cotton sateen.

Another thing to consider with the contrast fabric – there is contrast on both the outside of the coat (for the bound button holes, belt, and pocket), as well as the inside (bound seams). Keep in mind that, while the pattern is written for all contrast to be the same fabric – you don’t have to sew your coat that way. Use the fancy stuff for the outside, and bind the inside with something fun (even a woven cotton, if that’s your thing.). You’re the designer here! Just make sure to swatch so you know that you like the way your contrast looks next to your main fabric.

Couple more things, while on the fabric subject!
– Concerned about warmth, but don’t want to make the coat too bulky? Stick with natural fibers (wool coating, silk underlining) and consider interlining your coat with silk organza for an additional layer of warmth.
– Found your dream fabric but it’s just a *smidge* too drapey? Get some good interfacing and block-fuse that baby! Fashion Sewing Supply has a great super crisp interfacing, or even fusible hair canvas. FYI, this coat does not call for interfacing at all – so you only need to buy it if your fabric requires some extra heft.

Whew! I think that’s enough fabric talk for today. For sticking through it this far, I’ve got a discount for ya! Use the code “lladybird1013” to get 10% off your entire order at Mood Fabrics (not including PV codes or dress forms). This code is good through 10/13/14, so you’ve got time to swatch πŸ™‚

I promise I will share photos of my fabric as soon as I receive it (still stalking the mailbox, daily. Ha!). In the meantime – what about you? What fabrics are you eyeballing? Do you have any fun ideas for the contrast? Is your coat a lighter weight? Let’s talk!

One last thing – time to announce the Sewtionary Giveaway winner! Lucky number generator says:

winner1

winner2

Congratulations, Jin! Crossing your scissors apparently worked πŸ™‚ I’ll be in touch to get that book out to ya asap πŸ™‚ Everyone else – if you’d like to pick up your own copy of the Sewtionary, you can order a signed copy at the Sewaholic website. The Sewtionary is also available on Amazon!

57 Responses to “V1419 Sewalong: Fabric Selection”

1. Anna Worden Bauersmith September 29, 2014 at 7:20 am #

I Love this coat. What dangerous timing. I have a black wool at home that would work nicely. It is very firm with a full drape. Oh,how tempting. The white wool/silk would look good too, slightly softer drape. But, that bolt is reserved for a pair of matching mid-19th coats.

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

That black wool sounds lovely! And white wool/silk mid-19th century coats? I NEED TO SEE THIS ASAP.

2. Kathy Sews September 29, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Denim! Yes! This may be my choice. I already have this crazy heavy weight denim in my stash. What a snappy great idea.

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

Yes! If you make a denim version, I’m gonna have to see it! I can just imagine it in my head and I kind of love it haha πŸ™‚

3. Kelly September 29, 2014 at 8:14 am #

Haha I’ve just realised your sewalong posts are the only sewalong ones I read, just for entertainment’s sake, even if I have no intention of sewing the pattern!

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:38 pm #

Aw, that actually makes me happy! I always feel bad for the people who get stuck seeing these posts who aren’t following the sewalong, so I try to make them as entertaining as possible πŸ™‚ haha!

4. MarrieB September 29, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Your coat is going to be awesome in red! I was at Mood NYC on Sat and am pretty certain I found the actual fabric the original coat is made out of. It was gorgeous, and very hefty. (If it’s helpful to anyone, I saw it on the 3rd floor, on a bottom shelf, at the back of the row with the boucle, and it was labeled “wool bonded, CHADO Ralph Rucci”)

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Ooh, that is really good to know!! Thanks for the head’s up!

5. Denise September 29, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

I just bought that purple flannel coating for McCalls 6800!

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

That is going to be GORGEOUS! Serious coat-envy right now!

6. Renata Tarnay September 29, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

I bought the fabric for my muslin, and ordered some swatches from Mood πŸ™‚

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Yay! Can’t wait to see what you end up with πŸ˜€

7. Ines September 29, 2014 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for all this fabric info, super useful even if I’m not making the coat.

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Glad to hear that! πŸ˜€

8. Crystal Lattanzio September 29, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

so, i have been waiting, rather impatiently I’m sorry to say, for this post. I am so excited about this jacket and i had no idea what fabric to choose or where to begin. That is until I saw the floral brocade in your post. um….yes…..and yay!!!!! Its pretty and will be slightly different I think. Its almost out so Im afraid if i swatch it, it will be gone before i can buy it. Thoughts on that? This is my first Sew along and I am so excited. I am addicted to your blog, it is very motivating.

• LLADYBIRD September 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Hey! I’m sorry this post was a little delayed coming; last week already had Monday booked up with the blog tour, which is why we pushed it to this week πŸ™‚ Hopefully this doesn’t throw you off too bad!

For the floral brocade – honestly, if you feel like you’re going to be REALLY pissed if it sells out before you get some, I’d go ahead and buy it. If it doesn’t work for your coat, you can always find another use for it – or even resell it. I totally know what you mean about not wanting it to be gone – that’s happened to me, and it sucks, which is why I say buy it now if you can afford for it to not work for this particular project. If you’re feeling a little wishy-washy about it, I’d wait for the swatch and see if it’s still there when you’re ready to buy. It really depends on what your budget can handle, and how you feel about stashing if it doesn’t work for your coat πŸ™‚ I *feel* like it would work for the coat – and, man, it would be gorgeous! – but that would definitely be a lighter-weight coat in that fabric, if that helps.

• Crystal Lattanzio September 29, 2014 at 5:51 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, and i wasn’t complaining at all about waiting for this post. I am just impatient in general hahaha. You were very clear about when it would come out. Do you think too light-weight. I want to keep the shape without huge bulk, but i don’t want it to be so light weight it will be cold. so many decisions!!!! Sorry so many questions. Thanks again for the feedback.

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:13 am #

Well, brocade is going to be pretty lightweight unless you plan on underlining/interlining it with something warmer (which is doable, but it will add to the time+cost of the coat). That particular brocade is pure poly, so it won’t provide a lot of warmth on it’s own. You could interline with silk organza or even lightweight wool flannel (the latter being the warmest option), and then underline with silk taffeta (to cover the interlining, so you’d kind of make a fabric sandwich). This would beef up the thickness of the fabric, as well as add the warmth you need to stay cozy.

But honestly – I wouldn’t try to make this your ~super cold weather coat~, since it’s not really designed for that. Consider it more like something you’d wear to go to a fancy Christmas party. if you try to beef it up too much to being this arctic-approved feat of engineering, it won’t carry much of the original design (since it’s supposed to be very fitted, and a super winter-weight coat is obviously quite the opposite!).

• Crystal Lattanzio September 30, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

thank you, thank you!!!! Thats a big help and i pulled the trigger and bought the floral!!!!! YAY!!!!

9. maddie September 29, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Girl, this is going to be one hell of a coat!

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:14 am #

I am pretty excited about it! πŸ˜€

10. Jae September 29, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

I know a heavy weight is suggested but as money is tight going to try out a medium weight navy blue wool/polyester blend gabardine. I ordered a polyester gabardine through the onlinefabricstore.net but it was way too flowy and wouldn’t be warm at all. I’ve also been playing with the idea of a plaid flannel lining fabric so I think the wool/polyester medium weight will work just fine, :). I’m excited!

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:16 am #

Ooh, plaid flannel sounds super cozy! Just make sure you can slide your arms in the sleeves with it – otherwise, you’ll have a rough time getting it off or on πŸ™‚ haha!

• jaeboyd September 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Yeah, it doesn’t get too cold here in TN compared to Iowa but still pretty cold for me! Waiting until I make my Muslim prototype and get my fabric before I buy the lining. I may decide on something silkier if the fabric feels warm enough.

11. Cuckoo Chanel September 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm #

Lladygurl, I am so excited. Thanks for this thorough post. Helps a ton. In my stash I found this dark magenta Marc Jacobs faux suede with quilting that should be a good weight and drape. It was a Fabric Mart “crazy price” deal for 1.99/yd so if it works it’ll be gorgeous AND a steal. At the very least I’m hoping for a somewhat wearable muslin. I’m leaning towards a pink taffeta for the underlining. We shall see. Thanks again!
    Shelley

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:16 am #

Ahhh, that sounds amazing! Cannot wait to see some photos of this pink dream in action!

12. thesewingmiserablist September 30, 2014 at 2:06 am #

I’m in! My very first sew along too. I already have the fabric and its a heavy wool gabardine in a marled light toffee colour. I’m not underlining it since its already very smooth. I’m pairing it with aubergine sulk taffeta for the buttonholes and bindings. I was cutting out the pattern and noticed there seems to be plenty of ease, as usual. I was even considering going down a size from my usual one. What do you think?

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:20 am #

Your fabrics sound beautiful! Can’t wait to see your coat made up!

I would definitely make a muslin of the coat, if you weren’t already planning on it. My muslin was VERY fitted – not so fitted that I can’t wear it, but I assumed I’d have to make a bunch of fit adjustments and I really don’t need any. And it’s two sizes bigger than what I normally wear in Vogue patterns! The finished measurements were off – not sure if it’s a pattern error, or a user error (I full acknowledge that I might have missed a smaller seam allowance somewhere), but the McCall company is looking into it.

Anyway – start with your current size and muslin! If there’s any way you can justify tracing the pattern, I would recommend that as well (and just know that is not something I normally urge people to do, haha!)

• thesewingmiserablist September 30, 2014 at 9:48 am #

Sorry, I’m slightly confused. If I do my normal Vogue size, from what you’re saying it will be too small, since you said you had to go up 2 sizes from what you normally do yourself. I bought the 8/10/12/14, and would normally grade between a 12 and a 14. Worried now that I should have bought the bigger size range. Can you help?

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 11:04 am #

It *may* be small – depending on how much ease you want in your coat (and just because my measurements were off doesn’t mean yours will necessarily be – there may have been a grading error in the size I sewed, or, I may have just messed something up on my end πŸ™‚ ). I would start with the 14 and see what you think about the fit. Keep in mind that this is a pretty fitted coat – not meant to be warm, say, over your thickest sweater. I found my coat snug, but not so snug that I needed to go up a size, if that makes sense. I don’t think you’ll need to go up to the next size range, but I think you should muslin it first just to be sure πŸ™‚

13. Barbara September 30, 2014 at 3:18 am #

Woo hoo, can’t wait. Got my fabric, a metallic wool brocade. Hope it’s got the right drape! Waiting and hoping the pattern arrives sometime soon from the US.

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 7:21 am #

I can’t wait to see all the beautiful brocade coats that this sewalong is going to produce! So exciting:D

14. Mertxe September 30, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Ok, I apologise for my ignorance but: interlining, lining, underlining, interfacing, arghhhhhhhh! You say it cannot be lined, but it can be underlined? Please, please, can you help me out with words? Even when my double-sided wool will be only that, I need to clarify that mess in my brain!
    Thanks ahead, babe!
    Non-native English speaker Mertxe here.

• LLADYBIRD September 30, 2014 at 11:11 am #

Haha! Let me briefly break it down for you:
      ** Lining: a second coat inside a coat, covering all exposed seams (this is what you see most often in RTW, especially coats
      ** Underlining: instead of making a second coat out of lining, each piece of lining is basted flat to each coat piece, and then treated as one. This will result in the “wrong side” of your fabric being the lining (so, slippery enough to put the coat on, if you need it), but raw edges will show since they are not encased (this coat has bound seams, so not a big deal on that end)
      ** Interlining: another flat layer that is basted to the wrong side of the fashion fabric – between the underlining and fashion fabric. This is usually applied to either add a layer of warm or stability (if the fabric is too drapey)
      ** Interfacing: Used to add stability to fabric that is too drapey or does not have the right weight.

Here’s an old blog post I wrote a while back that talks about the differences between lining and underlining, as well as how to do it – https://lladybird.com/2012/06/15/underlining-the-why-how/

Hope this clarifies for ya πŸ™‚

• Mertxe October 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you! you ara so kind, babes. Now I understand the difference between lining and underlining perfectly well, but (sorry to bother you with this, girl!) interlining and interfacing sound the same to me even after your descriptions. Forgive my ignorance 😦
        In another order of things, I’m dying to see your red wool!

• LLADYBIRD October 1, 2014 at 4:51 pm #

Haha, yeah, interlining and interfacing do sound pretty similar – especially when they’re used for the same purpose. Interlining is primarily used to add a layer of warmth – so, like, interlining the inside of your coat with cotton flannel. Interfacing adds stability, and there is a fabric made for that specific purpose – so, interfacing button holes, or a collar, or whatever. If that clarifies a little πŸ™‚

I’m dying to see my wool too! Still haven’t gotten it yet, getting ANGSTY haha!

• mertxelasierra October 6, 2014 at 11:03 am #

OK!!! thank you!!! Finally you’ve ended years of darkness! I remember reading sewing books and writing little question marks at every interlining, interfacing, and underlining reference. I feel realy better now!!!
            I hope your wool arrives soon. I will post about mine tomorrow. Now, I have to make my muslim!!!

15. kathrin September 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm #

Oh YEAH, my pattern received today so I’m definately in!
    Thanks a lot for your fabric suggestions. This is my first big project and I’m a little bit confused what to buy.
    Timing is also perfect because on saturday I will visit a huge fabric market and hopefully I’ll find something suitable. Uhhhh, I’m so excited! πŸ™‚

16. poldapop September 30, 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Just ordered my Mood fabric! Excited to get started!

17. Lou October 1, 2014 at 7:07 am #

Whhoooo!! Have been eagerly anticipating! I have some bright red cheap wool mix in the stash for my muslin. If the shape works and I like it on me (not totally convinced that it won’t make me look more of a short-arse), the I’ll splash out on ‘posh’ fabric! Loving that brocade, so will be on the hunt for something similar in the UK….. I may end up with a RR coat made from curtains πŸ˜€

18. McCallPatternCompany (@McCallPatternCo) October 1, 2014 at 10:35 am #

Hi all! Listen, if you’re still agonizing over fabric, at least go ahead and start your muslin in the meantime. Use a heavier muslin that will give you the most coat-like effect. You may find that making a muslin will give you more clues about what kind of fabric you ultimately want. My post next week will be about making a muslin. β€”Meg

19. christinasewsup October 1, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks for the great post. It was very thorough while also providing comic relief. I can’t wait to get started.

20. jaeboyd October 2, 2014 at 12:13 am #

So after putting together the muslin I was thinking “is there supposed to be all this access under sleeve fabric?” And then I read some of your original posts about them and came to understand that they are just different. I thought I’d done something way wrong, haha. Can’t wait for my fabric to arrive!

21. Caroline Wright October 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

I don’t ever do sewalongs, mostly because I move at a fairly quick pace and am an advanced sewist and don’t need the tips. Also, I don’t manage to read the blogs as often as I would wish too, but, I was up til 1:30 this morning obsessed with reading things about this pattern and found this sewalong. I will definitely bookmark this and see what people have to say about it.

And now I have my own fabric dilemma! I have a green wool blend in my stash that happens to go perfectly with a vintage gold/green/black floral acetate in my stash. I’ve started out wanting to the coat in the green with the floral for an underlining. The wool is a blend of some kind, maybe rayon (??); the bolt wasn’t marked. It’s good fabric, kind of a gabardine, but the yarns are a little thicker and so it’s not as tightly woven. It’s not see-through in any way, but it is hella drapey. The acetate underlining will help, but not enough and I will need to interline. I don’t really need warmth and don’t want something crazy, but have been thinking about a thin fusible fleece. When I was tooling around the fabric store this morning trying various combinations, it seemed to be the thing that produced the nicest body with the other two fabrics. But will that end up being too thick? Thoughts? Suggestions for other interlinings (with the caveat that I’m currently unemployed and can’t order fancy stuff, unfortunately).

• LLADYBIRD October 3, 2014 at 5:10 pm #

It’s hard for me to tell without seeing your fabrics, but it sounds like the fusible fleece is a winner. If you’re concerned about thickness, try sewing a couple of pieces together with your binding, and see how that works. You could even go the extra step and cut the fleece out of the seam allowances, so the bound sections would be much easier to manage πŸ™‚ The fact that it is fusible is nice, because that way you won’t have big pockets of not-underlined sections (like you would with a non-fusible fabric). The only other option I can think of is hymo/hair canvas interfacing – but you’d have to permanently baste that into place (again, because of the whole pockets-of-not-underlined-sections thing), plus, you’d have to buy it. I don’t know what you consider to be out of budget, but Wawak.com sells it for cheaper than anywhere else I’ve seen, and the quality is fine.

Also, totally get what you mean about not following sewalongs. Tends to be my situation too πŸ™‚

22. V Reed October 5, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

I bought my pattern and read through the instructions. My head is still spinning a bit. Got a uber fabulous deal on some heavy weight denim and I have some lovely underlining fabric in my stash. Now I’m dealing with my freak out moments. The fabric from my stash I intended to use for my muslin is way too drapey and at this point, muslin fabric is going to cost more than the coat fabric (I did say uber fabulous) and I keep looking at the denim thinking what a fabulous heavy winter skirt it will make. GAH!!!!

• V Reed October 5, 2014 at 9:35 pm #

Ugh! Interlining, not underlining. Actually, I have two options. One is a bold red cotton with white butterflies and the other is a pink/grey taffeta. I’m leaning toward the red because it’s going to really pop against the denim…if I don’t panic and make a skirt first. πŸ˜€

23. jaeboyd October 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm #

So I decided to put in a layer of Thinsulate between the outer layer and underlining. Any advice on spray glues to connect the pieces together?

• LLADYBIRD October 6, 2014 at 8:27 am #

I can’t give you any personal advice as I’ve never used that technique before (well, not with fabric πŸ™‚ ), but I believe you can just use any ol’ washable spray glue to temporarily hold the pieces together. I *will* tell you do it is outside, though, because it will get EVERYWHERE. Seriously! You’ll have goo on your floor for months that refuses to mop up hahaha

• jaeboyd October 6, 2014 at 8:30 am #

Thanks so much for the tip! I was googling and someone brought up gluing the fabric so you don’t get wonky puckering, thought it seemed like a good idea

• jaeboyd October 7, 2014 at 11:56 pm #

Actually I went with a permanent iron on bonding spray, not too messy and easier to work with as fabric isn’t sticky after letting it dry. Also I feel this will give the coat better structure over time since I’m using 3 layers. Working well! The Thinsulate stuff from Textile Fabrics is AMAZINGLY. Pretty warm for something so thin, will have a better idea once coat is put together.

24. Jennifer December 11, 2014 at 2:00 am #

So I’m just getting started on this coat. I have my fabric and realize that it’s not a good idea to prewash it. Do I need to do something else to it before cutting it up? Thanks!

• LLADYBIRD December 11, 2014 at 9:16 am #

If you go to the next post in the sewalong – cutting and prepping – I go over some of the options for pretreating your fabric before cutting πŸ™‚ If you’re unsure which method to use, cut some test swatches and try those out before committing to your whole yardage πŸ™‚

1. DIY SPARKLY NO PATTERN SLINKY GOWN - The Underpaid Nurse - October 2, 2014

[…] V1419 Sewalong: Fabric Selection […]

2. V1419 Sewalong: My Muslin | LLADYBIRD - October 6, 2014

[…] Oh, and don’t forget the Mood Fabrics discount code, if you haven’t already purchased your fabric. “lladybird1013″ is good through 10/13/14 for 10% off your order (not including PV codes or dress forms). If you missed the V1419 fabric selection post, you can see it here. […]