Completed: Sleeveless La Sylphide

20 Jun

Welcome to my first official blog post from my new West Nashville apartment! 😉 I spent all of last weekend moving and then unpacking (which, I finished the unpacking part in a little under 4 days – a record for me! I REALLY hate living out of boxes haha), and things are *mostly* back to normal here 🙂 I’m still waiting for maintenance to come help me hang my shelves before my sewing room is really finished, but it’s usable for now and actually quite wonderful. I already love it here so so much and I cannot wait to show y’all more!

In the meantime, let’s look at another old make that I never got around to posting! Haha! Pretty sure I wore this dress on Mother’s Day, in fact 😛

Sleeveless La Sylphide

The pattern I used is the La Sylphide from Papercut Patterns, which I’ve made a few times before (although not for a few years) (see: plaid La Sylphide top, chambray La Sylphide top, and all 3 pattern variations that I made for the La Sylphide sewalong on the Papercut blog) It’s an oldie, but definitely a goodie! I had almost completely forgotten about the pattern, to be honest, until I saw a sleeveless version on one of my Instagram lurkings . I am ALL ABOUT some sleeveless anything when summer rolls around, so this shit was right up my alley!

Sleeveless La Sylphide

Making this dress without sleeves was about as easy as just not cutting them out of the fabric 🙂 Ideally, I should have raised the underarm just a bit, but I didn’t think about that while I was cutting my fabric so they are a little low (the underarms need to be lower if there are sleeves, so you have movement. If you are leaving the sleeves off, taking up the underarm seam a bit will result in a closer fit that looks much better. Here’s a post about that on the Grainline blog!), but I think they are fine as they are. I finished the arm holes with bias facing (I used a plain blue silk crepe in my stash, since I was on a massive shortage of my main print) aaaand I guess that’s it!

Sleeveless La Sylphide

My fabric a very lightweight silk from one of my favorite discount fabric stores in the Garment District, Fabrics for Less (honestly, most of those discount stores kind of blend together into one BIG AWESOME discount store – which is why I have a really hard time giving people “Garment District Shopping Tips” when they ask – but I do remember Fabrics for Less and Chic Fabrics, and they are awesome. And cheap!). It’s labeled as a designer fabric, although I couldn’t tell you who the designer is. I love the giant zigzag print and navy/white is one of my fave color combinations, so this one was a real win. Especially since it kind of reminds me of a comic book, thanks to the dots and this big zigzags. It wasn’t necessarily the cheapest fabric in the shop – I don’t remember what I paid for it, probably somewhere around $15-$20 a yard – but it was certainly cheaper than getting the same print at, say, Mood Fabrics. If Mood even had this print, I mean :P.

ANYWAY, I was feeling the wallet pinch when I discovered this bolt waiting for me, so I only bought about a yard and a half. HA HA. I don’t know how the hell I was able to eek this dress out of such a small amount of fabric (at 44″ wide, no less!), but I somehow managed. Cutting everything on a single layer, as well as throwing print-matching out the window, certainly helped.

Sleeveless La Sylphide

Cutting this dress was an absolute fucking nightmare. I was in a pretty bad mood to begin with that day – so I don’t know why I thought that cutting silk would make me feel better, but it was quite the opposite effect. I had to Tetris the shit out of the pieces to get everything to fit, and even then, there still wasn’t enough fabric. The neck tie is pieced, although it’s not noticeable. I also didn’t match anything – including the center front, which is where it actually would have mattered. Whoops. I reckon the print is so busy, you can’t tell that it’s haywire. Especially with that bow hanging in front of it. Also, next time – I won’t cut silk while I’m in a foul mood. Promise.

Sleeveless La Sylphide

All complaining aside, this wasn’t a bad make to assemble – after I got over the drama involved with the cutting. I cut my usual size – XXS. All the inside seams are French seams, which I never regret putting the effort into (so pretty and neat!). The arm holes, as I mentioned, are finished with silk crepe bias facing. The neckline is enclosed thanks to the neck tie, and the bottom has a simple rolled hem. The buttons are some beautiful vintage buttons I’ve had in my stash for years – I think they were originally a gift from my sister-in-law (anytime you see awesome buttons on a make, you can bet they were probably given to me from her. She seriously gives the best gifts!). I’m so happy I finally found a suitable garment for them! 🙂 Be warned that the skirt on this dress is really really short – I am 5’2″, and you can see how short it is even on me! – so you may want to lengthen before cutting, or at least measure so you know what you’re getting into.

Sleeveless La Sylphide

Overall, I do like it! The waist ended up being a bit looser than what I’m used to – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as I like a little bit of a breeze in this heat. I even kind of like the way the print is all crazy and disjointed. I’ve been meaning to make this pattern out of silk or chiffon (or something equally floaty) basically since I first got it, and I’m happy to report that it was worth the effort! It’s definitely fun to wear – as long as I’m careful about accidental flashing, ha. I told you – that skirt is SHORT! But so am I, so I guess that makes us equals.

Sleeveless La Sylphide

28 Responses to “Completed: Sleeveless La Sylphide”

1. sewingforcatpeople June 20, 2016 at 2:06 pm #

I kind of like the mismatched pattern. I cringed a bit when I read about cutting the silk while in a bad mood, were I in your position it wouldn’t have ended so nicely!

• LLADYBIRD June 20, 2016 at 2:17 pm #

Oh yeah, it definitely was not a good idea to cut that kind of fabric while in a bad mood! I’m glad it worked out in the end, but I certainly put myself through a real wringer in the meantime haha

2. SeeKatSew June 20, 2016 at 2:33 pm #

Love it! The fabric is amazing. I am about to cut my second La Sylphide, such and easy and pretty pattern. For skirts/dresses that are flashing hazards, I wear skimmies from Jockey – looks like you are wearing shorts underneath.

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:21 am #

Thank you! Honestly, I just try to make sure I wear cute (and butt-covering) underwear in the event of a flash. Consider how short the shorts would have to be to not show when I’m standing normal – might as well be underwear! Ha! 🙂

3. racurac2 June 20, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

Lauren you look radiant! It shows you are happy

• lauraborealis June 21, 2016 at 11:45 am #

I came here to say the exact same thing!

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:23 am #

Thank you! I am feeling pretty positive these days 🙂

4. Beth June 20, 2016 at 6:21 pm #

Very cool — in more ways than one! 🙂 Love the fabric (silk…yum); looks like it’ll be nice and cool in that TN heat! At least you’re not in Arizona. I’m currently knitting Interweave Knits Farmstand Tee from summer 2014 and it’s in Berroco Fui a silk/cotton blend. So I definitely get the silk vibe! Enjoy your summer in your new lair!

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:26 am #

Doesn’t AZ have dry heat, though? So it’s a little more bearable, right? I don’t know – I’ve spent nearly my entire life in the Southeast, so it’s hard for me to imagine a non-humidity type heat, but I hear it’s nicer haha. Annnnd your new project sounds awesome, by the way! Silk vibes for life!

5. Abbey June 20, 2016 at 7:29 pm #

This came out great chica! And I can see how it is a wee bit short, but you look fantastic!

6. Addie Marie June 20, 2016 at 7:33 pm #

I love this! It looks so cool and light weight – perfect for summer time! I really actually like that it isn’t pattern matched – it might have been overwhelming in this print. Beautiful work, as always!

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:42 am #

Yeah, I agree on the mismatch – I think it would have been too much if it was matched! 🙂 Thank you!

7. Rachel Lang June 20, 2016 at 8:57 pm #

Ummmm, it’s so cute! I’ve been eyeballing that pattern for months and now I think it’s time to buy. It would make the perfect summer dress. I don’t mind the short skirts that are popular right now even though I’m tall… I wear dance shorts under them and then idgaf if they flash a little. XD

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:45 am #

It’s a super cute pattern for sure! Even cuter without sleeves 😉 and YES to the short skirts! I figure, as long as my underwear is cute and covers my butt, I don’t care if I flash a little. Sorry to anyone standing behind me who does care, haha!

8. Kate Carvalho June 20, 2016 at 9:28 pm #

This is really cool! It’s such a great pattern! I recently made it as a sleeveless dress too and I was really happy how it turned out 🙂 http://mswabisabi.blogspot.co.nz/2016/03/la-sylphide-dress.html

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:47 am #

It was you!! You’re the Insta that I ripped off haha!! So thank YOU for the inspiration! 🙂

9. Tomasa June 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm #

Such a fabulous dress – I love the print. GORGEOUS!

10. ammaraz June 21, 2016 at 10:32 pm #

SO beautiful! looks perfect on you. love the hair!

• LLADYBIRD June 22, 2016 at 9:47 am #

Thank you! All credit goes to my awesome hair stylist 😉

11. Candie Graham June 22, 2016 at 10:40 am #

Love the dress, it looks super nice on you! Good luck in your new digs, can’t wait to see your sewing room!

• LLADYBIRD June 27, 2016 at 1:54 pm #

I can’t wait to show it! It’s looking pretty awesome already 😀

12. Mustavo June 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm #

make a gif with the photos of you turning around.

• LLADYBIRD June 27, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

I definitely don’t have the computer savvy skills necessary to try and figure out gif-making 😛

13. Antipodean Stitcher June 25, 2016 at 8:23 am #

Ooh, very nice! I’ve made the blouse version of La Sylphide but not the dress version, even though I’ve had a fabric specifically for it (a purple floral poly crepe georgette) for years. I’ll need to put it on my list to make once winter is done down here.

• LLADYBIRD June 27, 2016 at 1:56 pm #

I love the blouse, but the dress is where it’s AT. Especially in a poly crepe georgette, that would be so swishy and fun to wear!