Sewing Plans – Fall/Winter 2013

20 Sep

The best part about the season change is planning a new wardrobe, amirite? As my current plans appear to be spread all over the world (some on Pinterest, some on Flickr, some just in my head), I like to group it all into one place. So here we go!

Of course, there are the not-as-exciting basics – leggings and hoodies and sweaters. I also have specific plans for special patterns and fabrics, which can be a little harder to keep track of – hence this post. Obviously y’all don’t come to my blog for my stellar photography and photoshopping skills, so overlook that part, thnx. Also, I got way too into this and could have continued slapping pictures together and creating link parties here for the next 24 hours, but I made myself stop at 10. You are welcome.

Hawthorn
Pattern: Colette Pattern’s Hawthorn dress, with some sleeve modifications.
Fabric: Blue/Purple cotton plaid from my stash (srsly been hoarding this for a couple of years)

Tania
Pattern: Megan Nielsen’s Tania culottes
Fabric: Linen/Silk suiting blend, also from the stash. This stuff is so beautiful and I’ve never settled on a suitable pattern for it. The more I wear my summer Tanias, though, the more I love the idea of a flippy wool miniskirt. Except by skirt, I mean shorts 😉

Archer
Pattern: Grainline Studio’s Archer button-up
Fabric: Plaid Cotton Flannel. Actually, can I just make everything in flannel?

Anna
Pattern: By Hand London’s Anna Dress – short with slash neckline
Fabric: Sheer black with sparkly leaves all over, another stash piece. God, this stuff is amazing. I plan on wearing it over a black slip, instead of lining.

Zinnia
Pattern: Colette Pattern’s Zinnia skirt (the newest one!)
Fabric: Anna Sui Satin Panel print. I don’t know why I’m so in love with this print – nor am I sure it will actually fit on the skirt pattern pieces – but I’m willing to try.

Peter and the Wolf
Pattern: Papercut Pattern’s Peter & The Wolf Pants
Fabric: Stretch suiting (with flocked polka dots!) from Mood Fabric’s store. DREAM FABRIC, Y’ALL.

Pencil Trousers
Pattern: Burdastyle Pencil Trousers
Fabric: Floral Stretch Denim

Vogue 1610
Pattern: Vogue 1610, vintage
Fabric: Floral border print jersey, a fabric gift from Carolyn. What’s funny is she also has apparently made this same pattern (although not with the same fabric I’m planning, obviously). Does that sound like fate or what?

Lola
Pattern: Victory Patterns’ Lola dress
Fabric: Thakoon Cotton sweatshirt knit

Vogue 2765
Pattern: Vogue 2765, vintage
Fabric: Black & White Plaid wool coating

Ok, now we need to talk about this coat. I haven’t decided what view to make – it will be short, but hood or no hood? I also haven’t settled on a lining color, so let’s have some opinions! Midnight Blue? Tango Red? Mandarin? Buttercup Yellow? I don’t really want to go with white or black, too boring!

What are your plans for the new season? Anyone else want to make a coat with me? 🙂

88 Responses to “Sewing Plans – Fall/Winter 2013”

1. Seattle rain September 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Can’t wait to see the Hawthorn!! I’m exhausted from summer sewing and trying not to plan another Hawthorn. But somehow a solid purple or a purple plaid keeps haunting me! Your version will be fab!!

For fall I’m eyeing a minoru, fabrics selection unsure until I muslin it in cotton/linen. A orange corduroy mini wale for an alma/ginger dress. Maybe an anise come winter. Loooove all you fall sewing plans. Been seriously eyeing the Lola and Anna dresss!

2. hanndo September 22, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

I really love the first skirt and the fabric you choose for that! Although I would make it a little longer to be suitable for the office 😉 The Anna Dress is a beautiful patern as well. Another one for my wishlist!

I would choose a colourful lining for the coat as well, but the four options you give are all great. I can’t choose either! However, althought midnight blue is very classy it’s not as cheerfull as the other colours…
    No hood for me though, I love the colar!

3. Pootle and Make September 23, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Why do I not live near Mood – life is sooo unfair. We need one in the UK now. The Anna Sui print is gorgeous and I love the Thakoon coral sweatshirt knit. Love the fabrics you’ve chosen for your trousers too. I like the style of the white coat with the flared panels. Maybe with a burgundy red lining?

• LLADYBIRD September 23, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Haha, if it makes you feel any better, I don’t live near Mood either 🙂 I gotta order online and wait for the mail to come!

4. The Sewing French Girl September 23, 2013 at 9:15 am #

I made this coat 2 years ago (green forest faux-suede on the outside, mint fur on the inside) for Burning Man (night time is freezing). No aterations (except length of the sleeves, I have children arms) and the fit was perfect !!

5. marcyhmakes September 23, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

I say go for the hood, but I live in Portland, OR. I’m guessing it gets even colder, rainier, and windier where you are since we’re so temperate. I have one jacket with a soft fur-like lining in the hood and it’s the coziest thing ever and it’s magic against the wind.

6. Michelle September 23, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

All I want to wear this season is plaid. I bought a pile of it over the weekend. Your fall plans look fantastic, and I’m pretty eager to see how each of the pairs of patterned pants turns out.

7. jamahistory September 25, 2013 at 2:37 pm #

I would love to make a coat with you…..but I don’t think I’m at that skill level yet 😦 Maybe for next Winter… Also, the Anna Sui print is amazing!

8. Anonymous September 27, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

That Anna Sui Satin Panel print is perfect for Zinnia cuz it looks like Mt. Hood 😀

9. teapot_rabbit September 30, 2013 at 12:07 am #

Just found your blog today and had to comment because I have that same Vogue coat pattern! I made it two years ago from a lovely mid-weight forest green wool, and it’s gorgeous. Be prepared for many compliments. 🙂 I made the mid-length view, with a collar instead of a hood.

One thing to note (which I’m sure you would have noticed since you seem to be good about doing muslins) is that the pattern is drafted with a LOT of ease, because it’s meant for thick, fluffy linings. The pattern I have is a size too small for me (I had to buy it anyway because it’s WAY TOO CUTE to pass up) so I was planning to grade it up. Instead I ended out cutting it out as is and using a thin lining fabric, which worked fine for me because I didn’t want a huge fluffy coat anyway.

10. missjoiedevivre October 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

What’s depressing is that you’ll make all of this plus a dozen other to die for garments while I manage half a dress. And you’ll look goddamn hot in ever one.

And that coat pattern? I almost started stalking ebay that very second. It’s gooorgeous. I’d go with a hood but I live in a city that eats umbrellas for breakfast so hoods are always good to have. And red lining I think. Yum.

11. nicole_boldgoods November 10, 2013 at 7:59 am #

It’s only the first week of November and you’re almost completely done with your Fall/Winter list! Highfives.

1. Review: 110 Creations: A Sewists Notebook | LLADYBIRD - November 29, 2013

[…] Beth sent me the book, she filled out the first few pages based on my F/W 2013 sewing plans. I love that she even wrote my name in the beginning, it’s like a real library addition now […]