i’m in the process of making a dress for my sister. she wanted something simple – a white dress with a halter neckline that hit a little below the knee. we went to the fabric store & she picked out new look 6457, view D. the fabric is a linen-look polyester something from joann’s. pretty simple stuff.
i started cutting out the muslin last weekend, and i hate to say this on a public internet forum but that stupid pattern has to be one of the most frustrating patterns i’ve ever worked with – and i’ve tackled ~advanced~ patterns without breaking a sweat! i’ve sewn new look patterns before, although i generally try to avoid them (they include soo much wearing ease; one really ends up going down several sizes to get a good fit. crazy stuff!). this one in particular was just drafted like shit.
case in point:
this is the bodice front & bodice side back pattern pieces. those two are supposed to match up, except the side back is a good 1.5″ longer than the side of the bodice. the hell? i re-read the instructions several times, re-checked my cutting to make sure i hadn’t inadvertently cut the wrong size, ensured that i was using the correct pattern pieces… nope, just a big bad drafting error on new look’s part.
it’s really frustrating when pattern pieces don’t match up – the excess that these were off (especially on the top of the bodice, which shouldn’t vary wildly between sizes) is ridiculous!
anyway, we fit the bodice to my sister & the waistline ended up being quite a bit too big. i’m not really surprised, considering the pattern company we’re dealing with here, but i did base the size cut off the finished measurements, so it is annoying when those are off (but, like i said, not really surprised here!).
oh well, hopefully the finished dress will be presentable enough to post pictures of🙂
on a happier note, i’ve made quite a bit of headway on the ceylon:
all it needs now is 16 buttons & buttonholes and a new hem!
i bought a bit of white lace to face the hemline. the buttons are 3/4″ self-fabric covered buttons🙂 oh, and that piping at the waistline will match when everything is sewn together… it’s just pinned haphazardly on the form right now.