OAL2017: My Completed Anaheim Sweater / OAL Winners / Updates

4 Aug

Hello hello! A bit of a long post ahead – including my finished OAL sweater (yes! I finished it!) and the randomly selected winner for this year. A few updates/housekeeping before I get into everything-

• I love Kickstarter, and I love funding new projects and ideas from brilliant people. MyBodyModel is a new one that sounds really incredible – a web app that creates a croquis based on your specific measurements (no more 9-heads-tall fashion sketches amirite)! You can then print the images or edit them from a tablet. I am actually a tester for this service – which I’m pretty excited about! – but they need quite a bit of funding to get it started. You can see all the details on their Kickstarter page (they do a way better job of describing the service than I am doing, ha), as well as back the project. No amount is too small!
  • Totally forgot to mention this, like, AT ALL – but I’m going back to Finch Knitting + Sewing Studio for another weekend garment sewing workshop! The dates are 9/29 – 10/1, and the project is WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT IT TO BE. Seriously! Whether you need a cheerleader to encourage you to start a scary project, a little help whenever you get stuck, or just want to be surrounded by other people who are also doing amazing creative things – this is a great place to do it! Finch is located in download Leesburg, VA; the cutest little sewing shop in the cutest little historic town. We had an amazing time when I was there earlier this year, and I am so excited to come back! You can see more details, as well as sign up for the workshop here 😀
  • OAL winners! I used the handy Random Number Generator to draw our 3 winners this year – and here they are!

First up is Helen, who actually made TWO dresses this year, in addition to her incredible cardigan. I can’t even tell you how much I love that cardigan, y’all. Everything about it – from the color, to the fit, to the beautiful lace work – is perfect. I am bummed that there is not a pattern for it, bc I’d knit that shit up in a heartbeat!

Our second winner is Linda, who also made a cardigan + dress combo! I have had my eye on that Blaster cardigan for a while now, and Linda’s outfit is making me want to add that pattern to my queue! It’s wonderful!

The third winner is Lycaenid, who took things in a completely different direction by crocheting a skirt! I never would have considered a crocheted skirt, but man, it looks pretty great – especially paired with a crisp white shirt. We get a lot of questions every year about if people can crochet instead of knit, or make something other than the standard knitted top/sewn bottom (or dress) – and here’s a perfect example of that working out beautifully!

Congratulations to our 3 OAL winners – please check your emails and/or Ravelry accounts for a note from me about claiming your prize! Each winner receives 2 patterns+shipping of their choice from Indie Stitches, plus 2 patterns of their choice from Untangling Knots. Woohoo!!

Ok, now let’s talk about MY finished sweater!

OAL2017 Anaheim Sweater

I actually finished knitting this the day that I wrote my post on the OAL dress – I was feeling inspired to get it done so I could move onto other things. There wasn’t too much left to do – I think I had maybe a total of 50 rounds for one sleeve, and then blocking. Not bad! I’m so glad it’s done – partly because it opens up my queue to whatever else I want to work on, and also because it’s a pretty sweater that goes with a lot of stuff in my closet! I’m especially happy with how good it looks paired with my Kim dress.

OAL2017 Anaheim Sweater

In case you missed it, the pattern I used is Anaheim, which is the official knitting pattern for the OAL2017. This is a relatively simple garment, knitted top-down in one piece with an easy to memorize lace pattern (which I say easy to memorize, I mean that even my dumbass could handle remembering it! Ha!). It’s pretty mindless – so you can work on it while doing something else, such as watching tv or working in a craft shop (guilty!), but it’s also interesting to knit so you don’t get bored. I really enjoyed working on this pattern, although I did have a bit of trouble with the icord edging – I simply could not wrap my head around the instructions. I chatted with Andi about and she wrote a blog post that goes into a lot more detail, which was immensely helpful. Unfortunately for me, I stalled waaaay too long with even starting the icord edging, which is a huge reason why I didn’t finish my sweater in time. Oh well! It’s done now, and that’s really what matters!

For yarn, I used Quince + Co Phoebe, which is a DK weight merino wool yarn, purchased from Craft South. This yarn is incredibly soft and just lovely to touch – and it’s so beautiful! I really enjoyed knitting it and it’s a great color for my personal wardrobe palette.

I knit the size XS – which is my usual size for Andi’s patterns – and was able to get gauge with my yarn, so I didn’t need to change needle sizes. Besides the icord edging drama, this knit up easily and quickly. I will be honest – I wasn’t sure if I’d ever wear this sweater because it didn’t seem like really my ~style~, but I am really really happy with how it’s turned out, and how it looks with other pieces in my wardrobe! I think it’ll be great for the transitional weather in spring and fall, and again, the color is spot-on to pair with basically everything I already own. I am even scheming ways to wear it without a shirt underneath – just a pretty bralette! We’ll see how brave I get when the time comes, though, ha!

OAL2017 Anaheim Sweater

The sweater is intended to be worn with the fronts crossed over and buttoned at the side – can I just say how happy I am that there are NO ties involved?! – but you can also wear it open. I’m not really a fan of the open look – I don’t think it looks quite right, as much yarn doesn’t have very much drape. But I love how it looks buttoned up! I just used buttons that were in my stash, although I think I need to reposition them slightly.

OAL2017 Anaheim Sweater

I do want to touch on something I brought up in my last post – about not having any creative energy. Since losing my dad in February, it has been a strange and very sad year. I think that’s to be understood- losing anyone is hard, losing a parent is absolutely traumatizing. After the shock of the first week and then immediately trying to dive back into “normal life,” I thought I was ok. I thought, oh, I’ve dealt with my grief and I have survived this. You know what though? That’s not how grief works. Grief is sneaky, and it will creep up on you when you are not expecting it. It will affect your life in ways that you don’t even realize it is doing, and you won’t know why. At least, that was what I found myself dealing with when May rolled around. All of a sudden, I just felt sad all the time and I didn’t know why. I slowly lost the ability and desire to do anything – I didn’t want to be active, I didn’t want to see anyone, I didn’t want to leave my house, and I didn’t want to spend any time in my studio. All of this is stressful, but my lack of creativity was stressing me out the most and just making it so much worse. I make things because I find it therapeutic and calming – so losing that outlet was very worrying to me. I had a lot of trouble making any sort of emotional connection with people, and I was just sad all the time. This is NOT how I normally am, and I didn’t know what to do about it. I ended up having a meltdown while with a group of friends, and I realized that shit was not normal and I needed to do something about it if I ever wanted to feel like myself again.

So, I started seeing a grief counselor, which has been immensely helpful. I’ve slowly incorporated exercise back into my routine (running and yoga), which makes me feel good both mentally and physically, as well as helps my sleep. The creative energy has taken the longest to return – I had to stop trying to force it. I have been gentle and kind to myself, and patient. I really had no interest in sewing whatsoever during the OAL – it just felt like a chore. It wasn’t until the very end that I could feel my creativity reigniting, and I started getting excited about future projects. Knitting wasn’t as much of a struggle, as you can do that pretty mindlessly (I just like keeping my hands busy, really). I actually got a lot of knitting done during this time because it was the only thing I could really bring myself to do, in those weird weeks where I was so incredibly lonely but also completely isolating myself from everyone. For those who have reached out to me in the past months – whether it was to offer condolences, or to see how I was holding up – thank you. I really appreciate every single message I received, even if I couldn’t necessarily bring myself to reply to all of them.

I’m happy to say that my creativity has come back with a vengeance – it was hard for me to sit down and write this post, because I really want to go back in my studio and make some stuff! 🙂 I feel inspired again, and that’s such a good feeling. More importantly – I feel happy. I still have a ways to go – and I know that the grief will never truly go away. But I am learning how to deal with it when it rears its ugly head, and I know now when to give myself kindness and grace.

56 Responses to “OAL2017: My Completed Anaheim Sweater / OAL Winners / Updates”

1. Europa_66 August 4, 2017 at 11:02 am #

Your OAL looks great Lauren! Thanks for the bit about the I cord. I’m just finishing up my Zinone (from last year’s OAL) and having issues with the I cord neckline. I’ll be checking out that post for sure. Also thanks for the sleeve binding help from another post.

Thank you for sharing your story. My meltdown situ was 5 years ago, and I’m still learning from it. I think the shift from what comforts you normally to be suddenly un reachable is a way of our bodies and minds forces us to pay attention and to truly deal with what we are going through. For me, now 5 years on, it’s been both the hardest, shittiest yet beautiful time in my life as I have come to know myself like I hadn’t before.

Geez… and I just came here for sewing tips…lol

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:23 am #

You are welcome! I also found this YouTube video really helpful for visualizing how the actual stitch is done. I love the internet, ha!

I love what you said about the past 5 years being the hardest, shittiest and yet most beautiful time in your life. I feel the same way. I had no idea that my grief would also force me to grow in ways I hadn’t realized<3

2. Kelly August 4, 2017 at 11:03 am #

Oh, Lauren, I’m so glad you went to a counselor and are on the mend! That’s not your everyday loss of sew-jo, and I know well how debilitating feeling low like that can be. I’m so glad your creativity is returning, but if it slips away again, that’s okay too. It will come back.

Anyway, I’m bummed to have totally missed the OAL again! Neither of this year’s patterns are my style, but a previous year’s Hollyburn + Andi’s lace tee really, really are. I actually have a hollyburn that just needs a hem… and some yarn for the tee sitting in an online shopping cart. Maybe next year!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:24 am #

Thank you<3 that's what I have to keep reminding myself – while what I'm grieving is because of something permanent, how I feel day-to-day doesn't have to be. The sadness will ebb and flow, and that's ok. What a hard lesson to learn, but I'm glad I'm getting help with it now.

3. bethnegrey August 4, 2017 at 12:29 pm #

When I first saw the pics on ravelry of the Anaheim cardi, I also thought “not my style” and with all that was on my plate decided to not do this year’s OAL. Then I saw your finished one and read your notes. Ahem….I think now I’ll give that one a go. So, today sometime I’ll be cueing up that suckah and checking to see what I’ve got in my stash. (Or planning my next hunting-and-gathering.)
    My dad passed away a little over 16 years ago and, truth to tell, I’m tearing up as I type this. So, sorry hon, but it doesn’t ever really go way and will still pop up at the most unexpected times. I’ve come to think that that’s more a good thing, however. Because they’re always a part of you and you’re not forgetting that, even though it’s definitely bittersweet. I pray God to send you comfort, loving friends and joyous moments when the times get tough. You make me think of a 21st century Scarlet O’Hara and your post makes me think that even more so 🙂
    And thanks for the link on the i-cord. Every time I hear somebody say, “oh this is so easy — anyone can do it” …….. eek. I-cord and I have yet to make our peace, but maybe this’ll help!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:26 am #

Sometimes it takes a few finished versions to really make you change your mind about whether or a pattern will work for you! I’m totally guilty of that too 🙂 And for the icord – I found this YouTube video super helpful for visualizing, maybe you will find it helpful too?

Thank you so much for your kind words<3 I realize now that the grief will never go away, but I am learning how to live with it a little better every single day.

• bethnegrey August 7, 2017 at 11:38 am #

thanks for the icord link — I haven’t tackled this recently so it’ll likely be learning curve all over again. 🙂 And I’ve never done an edging with it before (or even imagined it could be done…). So I’m bookmarking this one right now!

4. Inclement August 4, 2017 at 12:30 pm #

I can’t imagine ~moving house~ during that, bless you. I mean, I get on the one hand being excited at a lovely new home, but I can barely bring myself to do normal tidying-up when I’m depressed. You obviously bulldozed your way through it very excellently, but, if you don’t mind, how did you manage, and what was it like?

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:29 am #

Oh lord, I honestly have no idea how I did it. I think I just managed to convince myself that moving would make everything better – and while it did help with some things (like not having to fight traffic every day, live in a noisy area, have access to green right outside my door, etc), other things needed to be dealt with independently. This bout of depression made me weirdly extra clean, so I actually didn’t have much trouble with packing up – although being surrounded by boxes made me more sad. I am so much happier here, though – I feel like this house hugs me every time I walk in the door.

5. a August 4, 2017 at 12:52 pm #

Lonely but isolating yourself from everyone. Oh do I know that behavior personally!

My mother-in-law died almost 20 years ago, and I just realized I didn’t think about the anniversary of her death when it happened a few days ago. I think this is only the second time I’ve forgotten on the day. And then a few days later when I realize I missed it, I feel guilty on top of mournful. And realizing I am only 10 years younger now than she was when she died has added some new feelings to this old grief. Gah.

Thank you for sharing. Seeking help can be so hard even though there’s nothing wrong with it and everything right with it.

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:30 am #

It is really hard to get help! I don’t know why I thought I could handle it on my own. It’s been so validating to talk to someone who understands what I’m going through and acknowledges why I’m feeling a certain way. The guilt has been hard. I am trying not to make myself feel guilty about anything because I know that’s not what my dad would want at all.

6. KS_Sews August 4, 2017 at 1:13 pm #

Good job listening to your body and taking the time away. Hang in there. :hugs:

7. heather August 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm #

love your outfit (& the yarn)! i finished my skirt, but my sweater is still being made… ha!

wishing you the best through your journey. my husband lost his father this past march & (many pauses for words…) i never really know what to say when… …glad you found a grief counselor. wish his mother would visit one. thanks for sharing. i think of you often & how you are managing, sorry i don’t reach out much. i guess i’m not the best at losses. sending lots o’ hugs! 🙂

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:32 am #

Don’t apologize, I think most people don’t know how to deal with someone else’s loss (I was the same way – because I’d never experienced one on my own, so I didn’t know how to relate at all). It doesn’t make you a bad person, or uncaring. ❤

8. Rose August 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm #

Congratulations to the OAL winners! Congratulations to you for a knock-out outfit. Can’t wait to see that gorgeous sweater with a bralette!! Your yard looks nice – very homey – nice to see it. Thanks for sharing your low period. I’m sure your counselor told you that we all handle grief in a similar but unique way. Hugs!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:32 am #

Thank you! I love having a yard and this new home makes me so happy<3

9. KimP August 4, 2017 at 3:30 pm #

Same thing happened to me after my father died and I essentially stopped blogging. Fortunately my creative juices came back but the desire to blog did not. So I let it go. To everything there is a season . . .

10. Carla August 4, 2017 at 3:45 pm #

I love you!

11. Alicia M August 4, 2017 at 5:44 pm #

Thank you for sharing and being vulnerable. I have been reading your blog for years and I find you inspiring on so many levels- Talent, dedication, skill, speed, creativity.. now I can add bravery and being a “real human” having “real feeling” and handling them with grace and inward kindness.. Girl you are amazing!

12. Elisha August 4, 2017 at 6:34 pm #

I NEVER comment, but oh how I hear ya about the grief/sad times which knock onto the non-creating guilt cycle. Your acceptance of what you need speaks to me, thank you for sharing.

13. Kathryn August 4, 2017 at 6:43 pm #

Sending you hugs (if they aren’t too creepy coming from a stranger who’s enjoyed reading your blog over the past couple of years). Be kind to yourself and take the time and space you need to grieve. I hope that you have a good group of people who can support you.

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:33 am #

Not creepy at all! I find I need a lot of hugs these days 🙂 Thank you<3

14. Deborah Penner August 4, 2017 at 8:12 pm #

Glad to have you back posting. As I said last post, we missed you but also understand. When I lost my mom 4 years ago, I was an old person myself and a grandma, yet found grief to be the pits as well as a way to get remotivated to care for my own health in a better way than before. Love your blog.

15. Deborah Penner August 4, 2017 at 8:18 pm #

Love the sweater. My granddaughter is a new knitter who just finished her first scarf. She wants to learn new stitches. Will show her your photos of the wrap sweater to show what can be done with a fairly simple lace pattern. She will love it!

16. Nokes August 4, 2017 at 9:26 pm #

You’re not alone. ❤️

17. Colleen August 4, 2017 at 10:25 pm #

I love the sweater and love the dress. (Also love your new house :)) You look adorable in them, per usual.

I’m so proud of you (I hope that’s not too weird to say) for seeking a counselor to help you. It’s so hard to lose a parent, especially if you loved them and were close. It’s a struggle that only time really helps with. Well, that’s not true. Keeping yourself engaged and trying to find a balance, trying to be happy, and being good to yourself also helps. Once I was crying over my mother because I was feeling really awful about something I did or didn’t do. I tried to put my daughter in my place and I realized how I would so hate for her to feel guilty or sad or so awful. I love her, no matter what, and I found that helped with the daily stuff. Remembering that my mother only wanted me to be happy, so I should try, you know? Take care of yourself, Lauren. Remember that it’s all love.

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:35 am #

Thank you so much for this beautiful comment<3 the guilt has been a really hard one to deal with – but I have to keep reminding myself that's not at all how my dad would want. He'd want us to keep living our lives and seek out joy, not grief.

18. HEATHER MYERS August 4, 2017 at 10:33 pm #

I was really so so on the sweater pattern, but now I see yours, well, maybe!

I’m sorry for your tough year. Grief is so unpredictable, it can come around the corner and slap me in the face any ole’ time, even years after someone’s passing. And is not to be hurried. It is something I’ve learned to live with because it doesn’t go away, although it does charge thru the years. Be kind to yourself!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:36 am #

It’s the strangest emotion I’ve ever had to deal with. I will admit that it made me super sad to hear that it would never go away – but now that I’m learning to deal with it, I understand it more, and it doesn’t make me as sad. It’s just part of my journey now. ❤

19. Katy August 5, 2017 at 7:56 am #

You’ve inspired me to make this cardigan! It looks great in a dark colour. It must have been hard for you losing a parent so young. I’m glad you’re pulling through and your creativity is returning.

20. PsychicSewerKathleen August 5, 2017 at 9:40 am #

Good for you for recognizing the signs of a grief that was threatening to derail you emotionally (which would affect you physically in time if not already to some degree) and going to a counselor. It’s terrifying when your creative inspiration just suddenly dies – I had that happen when my mother died more than 20 years ago now. I was 39 and felt like fate had dealt me an totally unfair blow right at the cusp of turning 40. It triggered an early menopause for me and my normal emotional steadiness was rocked into very turbulent waters indeed. Love your sweater – it suits you so perfectly! I don’t knit but you are certainly an inspiration to rethink that silliness 🙂

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:38 am #

It was definitely starting to affect me physically! I have noticed a lot of health problems I had eliminated in the past starting to creep back – which was definitely a wake-up call. And I agree, its very terrifying to suddenly lose creativity – especially when you don’t know if it will ever come back!

21. A Gathering of Stitches August 5, 2017 at 10:45 am #

Heartbreak is a tough one. It’s very hard to shake. There are moments in my life long passed that can still stop me in my tracks… I totally get that lonely/alone thing. I’m glad the grief counselor was helpful. Creativity comes from our hearts, so it is no surprise to me that your psyche needed to take a break from Making to process your pain. Glad to hear you are back in the sewing room, and happy it is scratching that itch. I know it has gotten me through all sorts of tough times, know it will for you as well. Hang in there sister, we’re all here for you!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:38 am #

Thank you so much<3 Love you!

22. Brigid August 5, 2017 at 11:18 am #

We are not as acquainted with grief and the grieving process as folks were in times past. That has to be a good thing, since it means we see fewer deaths than before, but for those of us navigating these troubled waters so infrequently, it is a real unknown journey. After my sister died I wasn’t able to sing (I am a singer and voice teacher) for almost a year without crying. And all I did when I wasn’t at work was sit in front of the computer. I didn’t feel sad all the time, but had no interest in any of my usual projects and was simply inert. About a year later I realized that the urge to get up and do–sewing, gardening, anything!–was returning. We all process these things differently. You are doing all the right things, good for you, and thank you for blogging about it.

23. mcdonaldmawson August 5, 2017 at 11:51 am #

The dress and cardy look amazing (as all your stuff tends to). You did so well to get them finished, and move house, and have your friend’s wedding, and go on holiday! I’m so glad you got help for this. That feeling of not even your favourite hobbies and people being able to cheer you up is always worrying. Glad you’re getting your sew-jo back. Have some happy emojis. 🦄🐞🌵☄️🌈🍭

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:39 am #

Thank you! For both your kind words and the happy emojis<3

24. Yvonne August 5, 2017 at 5:35 pm #

Oh sweet girl. I wish I could hug you tight. Always treat yourself with kindness, but knowing when to give yourself grace is wisdom. I’m about to be 56 years old and have suffered abuse, trauma and a difficult life, but chose to be thankful and always give others kindness and grace. Giving myself the same……I’m not sure I can yet do that. Thank you for sharing your heart. I will pray for you. Beautiful creations, as always!

25. Becky Thompson August 7, 2017 at 5:05 am #

After your dad passed, I was kind of wondering when, in the next 10 days, you jumped right back into blogging like all was well. Cuz’ all ain’t well and I knew it. I lost my dad 3 years ago this month and miss him daily but my mojo didn’t return for a good year. During that time, believe it or not, I spent time on mindless baby things that required zero creativity. Maybe it was a circle of life thing but my granddaughter was born that year and I was able to sew for a new life, because of my dad. While he never got to meet his great-granddaughter, she is an extension of him and it brought me peace. Grief is funny, and we all deal with it differently, but being able to focus my mind on simple sewing instructions for bibs, blankets, burp cloths, and embroidered onsies, and focusing my hands on sewing techniques absolutely got me through the hard times. The brilliant thing about sewing is that it is there for you no matter the situation and will be a rock for your mind to anchor you in the hard times or let you soar when you’re ready. It is truly some kind of gift.
    You’re still rocking the knitting. Atta girl!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:42 am #

I don’t think it hit me that it wasn’t well until a couple of months afterwards. I was so desperate to get back to a normal routine and live my life the way I had been doing previously, that I really stalled dealing with my emotions. Then when they hit me, I was just blindsided and didn’t even know how to react to it. My counselor told me that everyone processes things differently, and I was kind of side-eyeing her at first but I really understand that now.

26. Bonnie August 7, 2017 at 9:39 am #

Thanks for sharing your beautiful sweater and, more importantly, your grieving process. It’s so helpful to read about how people honestly deal with grief instead of a fake, rosy post that glosses over how difficult it is to lose someone important. Thank you!

• LLADYBIRD August 7, 2017 at 10:43 am #

Thank you for your kind comment! I don’t know why people are afraid to share when things aren’t going so well – we’re all human, we all deal with awful emotions and sad shit. It sucks, but its just part of being.

27. Catherine from Canada August 8, 2017 at 12:54 pm #

Lauren, thanks for this.
    It really helps (ourselves and others!) when we admit when something is (too) hard. My dad died when I was 27, 30 years ago. It was soooo hard to keep going. I had four kids under seven needing attention and I just wanted to sit on the couch and be mad at the world for taking my dad away just when I was getting old enough to have a real relationship with him (my teen aged years were not good for either of us…).
    I don’t think of him everyday, or even every month anymore, but whenever I start something new, I wonder what he’d think and hope he’d be proud, still.

28. Emma August 15, 2017 at 11:07 am #

I lost my Dad very suddenly almost five years ago, and so I can really sympathise with how you’ve been feeling. Although I was kind of the opposite, I didn’t go back to work for about six months after it happened, and I also struggled with loneliness/isolation, and I swear that the only thing that kept me going during that time was knitting and crocheting. When I felt really overwhelmed with my grief I would just pick up some knitting or crochet and really concentrate on what I was doing and it allowed me a small window of time where I could just not be thinking about what had happened to my Dad.

I still miss him all the time, and I know I always will and the thought that I have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life is scary, but at the same time I feel like it’s become part of me and although I know it’s there it becomes easier to live with.

I really like this post about grief if you feel like reading: https://www.dumbofeather.com/articles/the-river-of-grief-and-how-to-keep-being/#sthash.uB0zWNhc.dpu

29. Lara Geach August 30, 2017 at 6:31 pm #

Your sweater is lovely – I’m very tempted to have a go! Thanks for sharing your story. I too had to go for grief counselling in the end after my dad died 2 years ago. It does get better with time, it’s just hard getting used to life without Dad in it, but we’ll get there. All the best to you, thanks again for your honesty x