Vogue 2765, The Muslin

4 Nov

I’m afraid I don’t have a finished object to show y’all today. For exactly one week now, I’ve been dealing with a kidney stone that will NOT leave my body. Seriously, I’ve had these before and they generally pass within a day or two, but these little shits have made a home inside me, I guess, and no amount of water (or other weird home remedy, yes, I drank the olive oil and lemon juice, eww) will expel them. I hate peeing into a screen, I hate taking painkillers, and I hate this little segment of my life right now. I missed half a week of work last week, and get up to go to the bathroom about every twenty minutes on average. Shit blows.

Anyway, enough about me and my TMI, let’s talk more about… me! While I didn’t make anything finished, I did finish the muslin for my Vogue coat! Let’s have a look see.

V2765 Muslin

To be honest, I’m a little underwhelmed. It’s just so… meh. But then again, it’s a coat muslin made with a patchwork of different muslin fabrics, two different sleeves, and I’m not wearing a sweater under it. I was, but I took it off for the pictures because I don’t know why. I guess I wanted to make sure that it still looked good when it was loose. It’s not like I always wear a sweater 24/7, this is Tennessee we are talking about here.

I can’t tell if it really looks ok or if I’m just delusional. Help me.

V2765 Muslin

My pattern was a size too big to start, so I sewed most seams with a 3/4″ seam allowance and I think that really helped with pulling in the fit. It still looks a little loose, but this is also lightweight muslin and not a heavy coating.

V2765 Muslin

The underarms, though. Yikes. Need to raise that quite a bit.

V2765 Muslin

So, more about those sleeves. The right side is the original pattern piece. It’s terrible. I actually left it on so we could laugh at it together. The left sleeve is a two piece sleeve from my Fabiani coat (whyyy can’t I just wear that this winter? Wish it still fit ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ). I definitely like the two piece better, but it needs some tweaking as it’s a bit tight when I have on a bulky underlayer. I sewed it with the same 3/4″ seam allowance, so I think the normal 5/8″ will be fine.

V2765 Muslin
V2765 Muslin

Ahaha! See how bad the underarms are? Granted, that’s the shitty sleeve, where the problem was actually worse.. but still. It’s bad either way.

V2765 Muslin

Speaking of the original sleeve, this is why it’s so bad. It is a straight line from underarm to wrist – no tapering whatsoever. So the cuff, you can see straight to the elbow. Who thought that was a good idea?! God, it’s so terrible.

Anyway, I’m still on the fence about this, although I will say that leaving it alone overnight on my dressform (which, if you were wondering, is almost entirely what I use the dressform now these days. Putting shit on it so I can decide if I hate it the next day) gave me a ~fresh eye~. I guess I just want to make sure I’m not off my rocker here.

To recap, the fabric I’m using is this black and white checkered coating (which I’m almost having second thoughts about because, ughhh princess seams) and I haven’t settled on a lining, but I’m leaning heavily toward tango red. Also haven’t picked buttons (lolol I’m a hot mess), but I’m thinking toggles would be FUN.

Soo, what do you think? Vogue 2765, yea or nay? See any other fitting issues I failed to mention (beyond the underarms)? Want to sew a coat along with me (I’m going the “barely tailored” route)? Have any well-wishes you’d like to share with a lady who needs to exorcise this demonkidney stone? I’m all ears!

93 Responses to “Vogue 2765, The Muslin”

1. Gjeometry November 5, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

Hope you feel better soon Lauren! I think the muslin is coming along nicely!

2. Lisette November 6, 2013 at 7:06 am #

I hope you feel better soon! The muslin is looking good, of course, except that whole sleeve issue. Sometimes I wonder if the pattern drafters are just lazy, or incompetent or if the companies are giving them enough time to draft properly. You know, like they just have the worst bosses? Who knows. I went back and re-read your posts on your other coat because they were just so good.

3. redsilvia November 6, 2013 at 9:45 am #

I hope you’re taking Oona’s sage advice. I love that vintage Vogue pattern – in fact I own it but it doesn’t seem to be fitting. That coupled with the princess lines and you being sick may be too much to bite off right now.

How about the Andy Coat by Named? I think that would be tremendous on you. Plus I want to see how it goes for you, my little guinea piglet.

Feel better!

• LLADYBIRD November 7, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Waaaah why did you show me that Andy coat?! Now I want it haha! Fucking dr bills killing my budget this month ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

4. CarmencitaB November 7, 2013 at 3:26 am #

You know, I think it might be a bit big, but the real culprit is the poor sleeve drafting of Vogue patterns in general. I would frankenpattern a Burda sleeve. 2 pieces, more anatomically correct and higher armscye.

5. Beth (SunnyGal Studio) November 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

whew kidney stones, hope you are better soon. As for the coat. waaay too big. I think the waist is too low, horizontal tuck all around. Shoulders a bit too wide. does the pattern call for shoulder pads? if so you have to pin then in the muslin and try on, to get the right fit. Also, you could take a vertical tuck in both front and back to reduce width (do it out near the sleeve seam) If the pattern does not call for shoulder pads you might want to consider them anyway, just small ones in terms of thickness but for a coat the shoulder pad supports the top and lets the coat front and back hang nicely. Good luck and I agree with someone above who said maybe wait til you are feeling a little better – time to rest and catch up on movies or something. good luck with both !, Beth

6. Laura November 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I think if you make it more fitting, it might actually look better as a coat dress instead of a coat. If you tweaked the sleeves, it might actually look good. My eyes strayed to those big collars. Kind of didn’t flatter the whole look. Perhaps if you reshape it or make it smaller or more tailored looking, it might be better. Oh, the stones…hope you get that fixed and feel better asap. Hate to miss any of your posts. Love your work! I look forward to an updated version soon.

7. Stephanie November 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

Oh god, kidney stones, I feel your pain, literally. It’s been years, but I still get a wince-y feeling in my right kidney just at the thought of them. I had them frequently but I seem to have outgrown them (probably somewhere in my mid 30s?). My mum also had them as a young woman, then never again. I do so hope that that will happen for you too, and sooner rather than later! I don’t have anything to suggest other than drinking lots of water.

8. Cisa Barry (@Cisamisa) November 7, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

I love your face in the first under arm picture. It’s just so you ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS, totes craving some Hattie B’s right now

9. nycbookwriter November 10, 2013 at 10:12 am #

Chickie,

I heart the fabric . . . I just emailed you a pick of my coat and lining fabric. That looks like next week. I’m finishing a silk dress this week and maybe a button down, so next week for sure (and, I have to have it for Thanksgiving as my Mom ordered me to have it one when I get to her house).

When I’m down with Lupus . . . almost in the same vein as a kidney stone, I sketch elaborate projects that I will do. I mean like highly elaborate. I did my wedding dress like that, and then the sketch sat for years. Then . . . then I had it. Point: find something shiny to look at it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. jenna (@KittyCatStevens) November 11, 2013 at 10:44 pm #

when i saw the thumbnail for this post i thought you had made a robeโ€” yikes! i have a hard enough time shopping for coats, i can’t even imagine making one. coats fit my everywhere but the shoulder/arm i dk. i just freeze and get bitter in winter bc ill fitting coats cause me to not buy any. but alasโ€” none of this is really helping you because i know practically nothing about sewing and even less about coats.

but i have seen two hella beautiful coats that you’ve made so i can at least say i have faith in you! (i’m now you’re official lladybird cheerleader, YAY!)

1. The Vogue Coat: Muslin #2 | LLADYBIRD - November 15, 2013

[…] with yet ANOTHER muslin post. Forreal, tho, y’all were so helpful in my last muslin post, that I’m sticking my hand back in the cookie jar again. A little help, yes […]