Completed: A Cozy Kelly Skirt

16 Sep

Look at me, I’m like a 1970s Sherwin Williams swatch book all up in hurr.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I know I haven’t talked about her much since the denim version came out to play, but OMG I LOVE KELLY. I seriously can’t get enough of this pattern – it’s very simple, but delivers maximum effect!

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

This is my second corduroy Kelly, same difference as the first, although this cord is a much thicker wale with a softer hand. I snatched it up during my trip to NYC – it was part of a swap, although I am a terrible swapper and I don’t remember who it came from :( Sonja? I know the majority of the goods came from your stash haha :)

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

Anyway, origin aside, this fabric is pretty fabulous! It’s super soft with a fair amount of body, and the color is one of those great browns that goes with everyyyyything (except the new top I made, apparently, which is not the same top I’m wearing in these pictures btw. Oh well haha!). I love corduroys, but sometimes finding a good one that’s pure cotton with no stretch and a nice color can be surprisingly difficult!

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I can’t speak much on this pattern because obviously I’ve already made/discussed it, but I will tell you what I did differently this time ’round. For one, I used sew-in interfacing instead of my regular fusible… corduroy can be kind of finicky when you press it (specifically – you risk squishing the wales flat and ruining your fabric and WAH), and a quick test of the fusible proved that I would be making a huge mistake. I used muslin as my sew-in – just cut the pieces, basted them to the waistband and button hole placket, and then proceeded as usual.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I did topstitch my skirt as directed, but it’s not really noticeable due to the thickness of the fabric. It doesn’t bother me – I like the subtle look – but if you’re planning on making this with a similar fabric and want the topstitching to be visible, you will need to use top stitching thread and the accompanying needle.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

Obviously, you want to be careful when pressing corduroy – but some stuff does need a good sharp crease, like these pleats and the hem. To do this, I laid a scrap piece of corduroy on my ironing board, right side up, and put my skirt on top of the scrap right down down (this keeps the nap from getting crushed, as the fabric on the bottom provides some support). I used my silk organza press cloth and steamed the beejeezus out of everything, and then used my clapper to hold everything down until it cooled off.

I love that clapper. I always feel like such a fancy-pants when I use it, ha.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I also omitted the second button on the waistband – I want to wear this skirt with belts, which I can’t do if there’s a giant button in the way. I put in the top button and added a hook and eye where the second button should be.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

Here you can see my hook and eye. The skirt in unlined, but it works fine with a slip underneath in the winter, for wearing with tights. Well, the other corduroy one does, anyway, haha.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

Oh yeah, my buttons were free too! They’re some faux-leather suiting buttons that my Mamaw gave me. She gave me HUNDREDS of them (and my mom took half… but still… that’s a lot of buttons) and I rarely find a change to use them since they’re just really big. But I think they work here! The color looks great with the color of the fabric.

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I almost forgot – look at this cute pocket lining! It’s a tiny little scrap I got at the flea market. The seller threw it in for free (lord, can I say “free” enough in this post??? FREE FREE FREEEEEEEE) with a few other scraps, after I made a purchase pile. It was just big enough to use to line the pockets. I love those colors, wish I could find a big yardage that looked like it!

Corduroy Kelly Skirt

I guess that it’s! Kind of a boring staple to make, but these kinds of basic pieces get a lot of wear in my life :) Plus, it looks sooo good with my mustard Renfrew, which is always a plus in my book.

55 Responses to “Completed: A Cozy Kelly Skirt”

1. Rachael Telford September 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

I don’t think it’s boring at all! I would assume it was a fabulous vintage find.

2. niekemieke September 16, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I made the exact same pattern in the exact same fabric last year. It’s such a wonderful corduroy! I only wish I had known about crushing the whales back then, because it’s exactly what I did. I used yellow buttons on mine, to match the yellow top I wanted to wear with it :)

3. Lori September 16, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

So cute, I love the look of the corduroy and the buttons are a perfect for the skirt. You will enjoy this one all fall and winter.

4. Siri Andersen September 16, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

I think it is great when people share “boring” staple pieces! It gives me so many nice ideas as to what to make. I am restarting my wardrobe, and plan to sew up most of what I will need (I am soooo done with ready-made). This skirt is super, looks so comfortable and such a good brown color! Earthy color is just my thing, and the buttons are awesome together with the corderoy. It reminds me of growing up in the 70s, corderoy and these buttons were everywhere :D

5. sewcharleston September 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm #

Love your corduroy Kelly! I agree, good corduroy is so hard to find. The corduroy you described sounds exactly like what I want in my corduroy! Those buttons also look great with that color. I just posted about my Kelly skirt. Check it out!

I’m also sporting a mustard color shirt with my skirt :)

6. bubiknits (@bubiknits) September 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Kelly is really The Skirt!! I can’t stop to wearing mine :) I really love your outfit, the corduroy looks beautiful and I really love that shade of brown, and look amazing with that top! Super Bravo!!

7. Jenny Welch September 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

You have such great taste! Love the color, love the corduroy! I need to get this pattern. I’ve been putting it off for FAR TOO LONG!

8. Carolyn September 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Cute new skirt and I really like it paired with the Renfrew…

9. Kelly September 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

Oh this is sooooooo not boring!! I really love it, the cord, the color, the pocket lining- and those buttons look fantastic. Your corduroy reminds me of a favorite thrifted corduroy blazer that I stupidly gave away. I have had the Kelly pattern forever and haven’t made it yet, I think you have pushed me over the edge with this version :)

10. Aubrey (@Aubreyland325) September 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

Eep! Perfect outfit! And the skirt can match almost ALL THE THINGS and be worn all the time. You’re going to be all Mary Poppins effect on the bike in this outfit.

11. Marie September 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm #

Love how seasonal and retro this outfit looks!

12. SeeKatSew September 16, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Those buttons are so retro…..they look great on the skirt. I love the whole outfit.

13. rosiewednesday September 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

That first picture of you is just stunning! I like this combo.

14. Faye Lewis September 16, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Beautiful! Reminds me of my high school days. Corduroy was just the right fabric for that pattern.

15. mirandatcs September 16, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Great skirt! That color looks as if it were made for you ;)

XX,
    Miranda

16. Jen September 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

So cute — the colors are indeed a vision of the 70s! I’m having a corduroy moment as well. Another way to press it is face down on a really fluffy towel. I do not have a clapper (yet), and I just use a lot of steam and a sharp touch with the iron.

17. angela September 16, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Love it and I didn’t even think I liked the Kelly! Who knew. I really like this one. So cute. I really like it. …but then I am a sucker for mustard :)

18. Sunni September 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

It it so cute! I absolutely love the color combination here as well as the wearability of the outfit. You know I’m all about that! In fact, just bought the Kelly skirt after seeing this post. Sheesh! Love it! Love it!

19. DMgirl September 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

I love everything about this skirt, especially that it is corduroy!

20. weefrills September 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Love it! Perfect buttons!

21. Jo September 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Nothing boring about this! I have some corduroy to make beignet which is a similar style. But I definitely want a Kelly too… I adore corduroy. It’s so rich and soft! You look awesome and yes to the yellow top too! :D

22. Sally {thequirkypeach} September 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Super cute! The perfect fall outfit! And thanks for the tips on working w/ corduroy :)

23. Lou September 17, 2013 at 1:22 am #

Cool love it, corduroy and those buttons are to die for!

24. bernieandi September 17, 2013 at 1:36 am #

Cute skirt! It’s so delightfully 70s :). I’m pretty sure my parents made my older sisters trousers in this kind of fabric (in the 70s before I was around). I am in a skirt making frenzy at the moment too!

25. Kelly September 17, 2013 at 2:34 am #

I’m just about to make a corduroy version of this skirt, so thanks for the ironing and interfacing tips! I’d probably have just ironed it otherwise and then got all sad when it went wrong. Plus, y’know, it’s not every day someone declares their love for me in a blog post ;)

• LLADYBIRD September 17, 2013 at 8:50 am #

Hehe it’s nice to feel the love, isn’t it? ;)

26. Kim September 17, 2013 at 2:46 am #

Cute! I think that this will be an awesom wardrobe staple, and that you’ll get a lot of wear out of it!

27. tillybuttons September 17, 2013 at 3:03 am #

Ooh I lurrrrrve! Looks so cosy and Autumnal. Love a bit of corduroy! xx

28. Juliet September 17, 2013 at 4:42 am #

This is super! Love the colour and free is possibly the best kind of sewing ever!

29. Ela Sews and Doesn't Sleep September 17, 2013 at 6:20 am #

Your color combi looks amazing! You will fit perfectly in the autumn weather with all the yellow and red leaves around :) And how cute are these flower pockets!!!

30. sewcookgardenrepeat September 17, 2013 at 6:26 am #

I love it! I’m not a big seventies vintage fan, but you make it look good!

31. Lisette September 17, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Oohers. I would wear the dickens out of that skirt. It is also one of my favorite shades of brown.

32. gingermakes September 17, 2013 at 7:25 am #

Ooh, this is so autumny and nice! Haha, yep, that’s totally from my stash– I bought it intending to make totally groovy skinny neckties for my brothers and dad, but didn’t think through what a pain in the ass it would be to get a nice point pressed in corduroy (spoiler alert: it’s not very fun and looks pretty crummy). Glad this went to such good use!

• LLADYBIRD September 17, 2013 at 8:51 am #

That’s what I thought! Man, I took soo much of your stash home… still working through it! THANK YOU for your generous fabric and yarn donations, haha!! Much appreciated :)

And, dude, cord neckties would have been totally groovy… but I don’t blame you one bit for giving that up. The thought of pressing points in that fabric is giving me the heebie jeebies haha

• gingermakes September 18, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

I’m so glad it’s gone to someone who will actually use it (unlike me, whose STUPID NEW JOB IS SUCKING UP ALL MY SEWING TIME UGHHHHHHHHH)! I’m just gonna have to live vicariously through your fall sewing!

• LLADYBIRD September 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Sounds like somebody needs to start planning a Nashville/sewing vacation…! :P haha!

33. Colleen September 17, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Lauren, I love it! It’s perfect in every way. Thanks so much for the corduroy press tip — I had no idea!

34. Carolyn September 17, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Fabulous outfit! I go pretty ga-ga over any fall coloured palette. And that’s a Renfrew, eh? I’ve hummed and hah-ed about that pattern for a long time now, not knowing if I’d really like it but your version is everything I could want and more! I LOVE the mustard colour, though I don’t think I could wear it, but I could rock a teal or burnt orange version! Renfrew now going on the shopping list! The skirt may do as well, it looks so comfy and easy to wear. I have a piece of magenta cotton corduroy that I just decided against for another project (for the fall for cotton sew a long) and maybe it would work as this skirt instead. Hmmmmm…….

• LLADYBIRD September 17, 2013 at 8:54 am #

Yes to both! That Renfrew is a great pattern, so versatile and simple (and a really really good staple to have in your closet). Just a head’s up, if you want your cowl to look like mine, make sure your fabric has some good body and heft so your cowl isn’t limp :)

And speaking of a colored cord Kelly… I have some teal corduroy I’ve been thinking about Kelly-fying. So you know I’m all about the idea of a magenta cord Kelly!

• Carolyn September 19, 2013 at 6:54 am #

Thanks for the Renfrew heads-up, I’ll file that away in my head for future reference. “coloured cord Kelly” – say that 10x fast! lol

35. hanndo September 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

What a lovely skirt. This makes a beautiful fall outfit!

36. nycbookwriter September 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Hey . . . get outta my closet. ;) I’m making a brown cord . . .from Beignet by Colette. Cord skirts are quintessential to fall, for me at least.

Looks lovely, as usual.

37. June September 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Love the skirt! I was pawing my stash and came across some black corduroy (but with a little stretch). Thanks for the tips about working with it. I’m all set to make a work skirt but paused as I thought about whether it is a cat-hair magnet…! Guess I’ll leave the yardage out and see what it looks like after a few days.

38. Lisa September 17, 2013 at 9:07 pm #

Nothing wrong with sewing a staple! Plus it’s lovely. AND (most importantly right here) my mom has those buttons in her stash. Aw, the lovely woven leather buttons of the 70s/80s. :)

39. grenouille78 September 17, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

It looks warm from here! Smart thinkin’ with the hook and eye.

40. nishi September 18, 2013 at 12:48 am #

Woo hoo! I LOVE the 70′s and a good bit of corduroy! My favourite pair of home-made trousers are a dark blue pair of cords, but I can only wear them in the cinema here because it’s too damn hot! I love the belt with this skirt and those buttons are to die for!

• LLADYBIRD September 18, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Hahah are you me?! I always bundle up when I go to the movies – dead of summer, I’m in pants and carrying a sweater. Those places are freezing!

• nishi September 19, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Hurray! I thought it was just me being nesh! I do love being able to wear a jumper though…

41. womanmdsguide September 20, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

I was going to make that exact same skirt except I don’t have the pattern yet, or fabric, or leather buttons but I will be copying that like a wacko stalker. Hope you don’t mind. I live about a thousand miles from Nashville so it’s not like we’ll be at the same party.

42. kimmie September 24, 2013 at 11:40 pm #

so fuckin autumnal!

43. crystalpleats September 25, 2013 at 1:15 am #

You’re right…its just an amazing pattern. This is the perfect fall skirt.

44. Becca October 1, 2013 at 8:32 am #

So freakin’ cute! That outfit makes me so happy. You look like the poster child for fall. :) I also have to let you know that this skirt made me order some corduroy of my own to make yet another Kelly skirt. Kelly skirts are just so easy to make and wear, and they’re perfect for wearing with tights when the weather gets colder. Thanks for the inspiration!

45. missjoiedevivre October 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

How is it possible that you look so good in all the clean bright cool colours I love and can wear and yet can wear these warm slightly dusty colours I look dead in? Is there a colour on the planet you don’t suit?

Also, great skirt.

1. I Think I Could Wear This Outfit Everyday | highheelhippie - November 14, 2013

[…] outfit started with a little envy of this post by Lladybird. I want a corduroy Kelly skirt! I already owned the Renfrew pattern and busted that […]

2. Finished: My namesake skirt | Make, sew, do - November 23, 2013

[…] while I was planning my corduroy Kelly, Lauren published a post with a few helpful tips on making this skirt out of corduroy, such as hints on ironing and […]