Coat: The Final Countdown

23 Jan

Yep. I’ve had this song stuck in my head all week.

Guys! I’m almost done with my coat! :D :D :D We are entering FINAL COUNTDOWN phase – all the pattern pieces have been removed from their respective fabrics, folded & replaced back in the envelope, and my cutting table is (mostly)clean. I just have a bit more hand-sewing to do and then it’s time for a coat fashion show! Yay!

Here are some in progress pictures to get you pumped & ready…
steaming the undercollar
Steaming the undercollar – I wrapped it around my seam roll & propped it up against my clapper. Doesn’t it look so smug & satisfied in that picture? How can a seam roll look smug, anyway?

catch-stitch at the seams
Part of what has taken me so long with this coat is all the hand-sewing involved – there is a LOT. I pressed every seam open and catch-stitched down both sides. This really helps eliminate bulk, which is really necessary with fabric as thick as mine. I also beat the shit out of every seam with my clapper. That was fun.

Ever wondered what the inside of a tailored coat looks like?
tailored inside of coat
Here ya go! I already sewed on the facing pieces, so no pretty padstitching pictures for youuu – but you can see how the front is interfaced with hair canvas. I told you – lots of handstitching! And look at my cute sleeve heads :) I used Gertie’s tutorial for setting in tailored sleeves – I have done this before with my Lady Grey (and much success!). It is my favorite method for setting in sleeves and it makes everything easy easy! Got it right the first time, yeah!

back stay
Here’s the coat back – not much to see here, just a back stay. Boring!

collar - no topstitching
Collar is looking good, thanks to all that padstitching.

coat with topstitching
And then topstitching. I was a little apprehensive about doing this – I think topstitching can really make or break the look of a garment. Usually the latter – sometimes it looks kind of cheap. But I like the way it looks on the coat, which is good! Don’t wanna rip all those stitches out, el oh el.

So that’s where we are as of today! I actually dropped the lining in the coat yesterday afternoon, although you can’t see it from the pictures – all I have left is more hand-stitching. And sewing on the buttons. And then I’m going to throw a hissy fit because this whole week is going to be a balmy 60*. Lovely, but coat-wearing weather it is not.

One last thing…
featherweight!
Look who is coming home with me today :)

she's coming home with me today :)
WE ARE IN LOVE.

21 Responses to “Coat: The Final Countdown”

1. Staci January 23, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

I don’t know which is more beautiful…your beautifully tailored coat or that gorgeous little gem in the black box ;p Congrats on both!!! Can’t wait to see the finished coat and the kiwi lining :)

Incredible job Lauren, truly, its beautifully made.

2. Scruffybadger January 23, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

Oh my Lordy. You

3. Scruffybadger January 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Oh Lauren, sorry about the comment fail just! Crappy iPhone feed reader!! Anyways, what I was going to say is …. Oh Lordy! Surely you were the cutest stylish tailoress in a previous life? How impressive? To show all that detail and it’s perfect and difficult and tricky? Yay! Give it some 80s soft rock!! If it was me I’d be ” living on a prayer”… Enjoy the last bitty bits :-)

4. Marie January 23, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Oooh, you’re almost there with the coat…how exciting! And congrats on the Singer, I think I’d be in love with it too if it was mine ;o)

5. Jill January 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

OMG love that song.

6. symondezyn January 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

OMG I adore your coat… it is so gorgeous… I dream of the day I can make something so beautiful… way to go!! :)

7. mujerboricua January 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

That coat looks all kinds of complicated and beautiful. My virtual hat goes off to you.

8. gingermakes January 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm #

Holy crap, coat looks fab! And welcome home to your new baby!!

9. Crystal January 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

That is a fine looking coat. Can’t wait for the fashion show.

10. Mika January 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Your coat looks so great! I have a pattern for a coat that I really want to use, but I haven’t gotten past the fabric purchasing stage of things. There are too many choices!

11. CGCouture January 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

This coat is gorgeous! I’m so jealous of your mad padstitching skills. ;-)

12. Debi January 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

purty, purty….LOVE the collar…..almost as much as the new machine! :)

13. nothy lane January 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Vintage machines are great. I have one that is about 30 years old and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Your singer is beautiful.

14. Sarah W. January 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Amazing coat!

15. wundermary January 24, 2012 at 1:26 am #

Oooo! Fun post!
    I just finished rewatching all of Arrested Development and they couldn’t have come up with a better theme song for GOB. Maybe you could dance around in the coat like GOB doing a magic show…
    The coat looks AWESOME! You made the right choice on the topstitching, fab, fab!
    And, so glad to see that your new machine is in the house!

16. didyoumakethat January 24, 2012 at 7:49 am #

I love those collars! The whole coat looks great – I can’t wait to see the finished article.

17. Becca January 24, 2012 at 9:31 am #

OMG! It’s looking gorgeous. I am so jealous of your beautiful tailored coat and your patience with all of the hand-stitching. And, yay for you getting to bring your Featherweight home. :)

18. Amanda January 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Dude- that Singer is hot! Loves it so much :D
    And your coast- totally inspiring. Is making me want to have a bash at one for this winter!

19. Sarah January 25, 2012 at 6:53 am #

Eek your coat looks amazing! I can’t wait to see it finished up and the top stitching looks really professional and not cheap at all. I have yet to venture into tailoring, looks HARD.

• LLADYBIRD January 25, 2012 at 8:46 am #

It really isn’t hard at all! It can be difficult to determine when and where you should apply certain tailoring techniques, but as long as you have a good pattern that includes instructions for tailoring (or a good book, or a good teacher!), then that’s not even an issue. It is mostly just slow with a lot of hand sewing :)

20. Alaskapsych March 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

That Singer is EXACTLY the same machine I learned to sew on so many years ago.