More Knitted Goodies

18 Jan

Look – I finished not one, but TWO knitting projects! Both of these have been slow works-in-progress, and over the weekend I was able to get everything blocked, then last night I finished weaving in ends & sewing seams & all that fun stuff. And now you get to share my joy with me! Yay!

Sorry that the pictures are so bad – I took these last night because I was so excited to show them off. It’s been grey & rainy all week. Ugh, winter is so bad for pictures.

First up – bunny slippers!
bunny slippers
This is the hopsalots pattern – it is very easy! You knit everything flat with decreases and increases and then seam everything up, felt the shit outta it, and sew on the ears/eyes/nose/tail. I learned a lot with this pattern – decreases, increases, seaming, felting, knitting with 2 strands of yarn. I also made my first pom-pom lol.

bunny slippers - in progress
Here is a progress photo – I had to pin the edges down because they really wanted to curl up.

bunny slippers
I added 2 rows of stitches before decreasing, since I knitted a 5/6 and I wear a 6.5. In the end, I pinched a little excess off the back because the slippers were too long – probably from those extra rows. Also, I don’t think I felted them as much as I needed to. Felting took about an hour – I got bored! I brought my Kindle in the kitchen and watched some TV shows, so it wasn’t tooooo bad, but man my poor fingers were pruney after the fact.

Anyway, I love my slippers! They are kind of dangerous on the bathroom floor but I’m sure I’ll manage ;)

Next pattern – my cowl!
my cowl!
This is the Casu Cowl (psst – it’s a FREE Ravelry download!). I knitted mine using an Alpaca blend in a delicious shade of wooly teal. It is my very first written pattern and that shit took foooorever (mostly because I kept stopping to make other fun things, like bunny slippers. Ahem.). Things I learned with this pattern: how to read a pattern, how to read a pattern chart, provisional cast on, yarn overs, knitting 2 together, grafting, and adding a new ball of yarn (I used almost 3 balls). Grafting was interesting – my seam isn’t totally invisible, but I think it’s pretty good for a first try :)

knitted cowl
I just love the lace pattern at the top.
The only thing that sucks about this cowl is that the teal is basically the same color as my new coat – which is too matchy-matchy for me. Ah, guess I’ll have to just knit another cowl. Bummer :)

I have a couple more knitting projects – one nearing completion (just a few more rows to knit and then a quick blocking) and I just started swatching my sweater last night. Actually, the lace pattern on this thing nearly killed me but Sarah the Knitting Magician saved the day/my life and corrected my error. Hopefully I’ll have some swatches to show off in a few days! I am REALLY excited about this project :D

Are any of y’all on Ravelry? Friend me – I’m laurenc0re!

23 Responses to “More Knitted Goodies”

1. Crysta January 18, 2012 at 11:06 am #

Okay, so I’ve added those slippers to my Ravelry queue, because… well, come on. But you felted by hand! You poor dear. I know it’s more water efficient, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I happen to know how well my washing machine felts since my boyfriend’s Christmas hat accidentally made its way there last week and now is a trivet. /sigh. Well done you, though! Your dedication has paid off so well! Looking forward to the sweater!

• LLADYBIRD January 18, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Haha, well, I don’t have a washing machine in my home. So I really didn’t have much of a choice when it came to felting. Wish I did, though!

2. Kerry January 18, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Sweet slippers! Very cute. Maybe you could sew on some kind of suede-y sole to give a bit more grip? Love the colour of your cowl too.

• LLADYBIRD January 18, 2012 at 11:33 am #

I thought about putting some of that rubber grip stuff they put on kid’s footie pajamas, although I have no idea where to source it. Ah, it’s ok – I can pretend I’m Michael Jackson while I slide around on the kitchen floor lol.

3. shivani January 18, 2012 at 11:28 am #

i love those bunny sliippers! they’re going right to the top of my Ravelry queue. love the cowl too – that colour is delish.

4. Manda January 18, 2012 at 11:29 am #

Love those slippers!

5. gingermakes January 18, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Bunny slippers!! WAAAANNNNNNTTT!!!!! You know, if you want, you can just use puffy paint and paint squiggles on the soles, and you’ll be all non-slip and fancy-free!

• LLADYBIRD January 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

BRILLIANT. I love this idea!

6. symondezyn January 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

I LOVE the colour of your cowl and admire your courageous ventures into knitting… if it makes sense, I know it’s a ‘someday’ thing for me that I will want to learn to knit, and it always encourages me to see others forging the path ^__^

• LLADYBIRD January 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I know what you mean – I’ve wanted to learn how to knit for years but I didn’t pick it up until recently. It is really fun! And easy to learn – I’m only about 2 months in :) You should definitely start sooner than later!

7. SuzySewing January 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Love the slippers, they are so cute!! I took up knitting about a year ago and I’m ever so slow (sewing clothes is really my thing). Drooling over gorgeous 40s/50s knitwear pushed me to learn it. I have just finished a cardigan, which will be a first (other than scarves and such). Can’t wait to sew it up but I am a bit nervous about doing it.

8. Michelle January 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Queuing those slippers immediately! They’re so adorable! And, they look like a super quick, satisfying knit!

9. Amanda January 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

I am loving the bunny slippers! I wish I knew how to knit because I honestly think they would make my winter that much better (and cuter!)
    And the cowl is just lovely! Nice work on both pieces :D

10. Jill January 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm #

Love your bunny slippers! and guess what I was just doing? hand felting my bunny slippers! (same pattern) it really is awesome but my hands feel a little raw- i hope mine turn out as cute as yours! I’m probably going to either try the puff paint or you can buy leather soles from my yarn store that have pre-punched holes in them to sew on to the bottom- I used them for different slippers last year.
    Your cowl looks beautiful too, it’s a beautiful colour.
    Jill

• LLADYBIRD January 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Doesn’t hand-felting them suck? Haha but it’s worth it :) Make sure you baby your hands with lots and lots of lotion after! Can’t wait to see yours when they are finished!

11. Elisalex January 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

Wowza those slippers! What can I put on hold while I slip them in…?

12. weefrills January 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

You’re a natural-born knitter! Everything looks wonderful!

13. Mika January 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

I second the puff paint solution. And I think I have to make my own bunny (or bear!) slippers soon. Yours look so cute!
    Winter definitely sucks for photos. It takes forever for me to get a halfway decent photo inside, and it’s too cold outside to model anything except a coat or a hat. Though, it would be pretty hilarious to model bunny slippers in a public park.

• LLADYBIRD January 19, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Oh, bear slippers would be ADORABLE! And I think they’d be pretty easy to redraft the ears to be more bear-like!

Now I want to go to the park and have a bunny slipper photoshoot lol

14. Scruffybadger January 19, 2012 at 1:35 am #

TOOOOO cute! I want some now! I may have said before (sorry to repeat myself) that I’ve got a crochet bunny slipper pattern …. becoming very tempting, but then I’ve only ever crocheted flowers & cowls & would have to learn a whole heap. Knitting them might be easier :-)
    I am awed at what you’ve learnt “just by” knitting a cowl – loads of knitting confidence trickery. Feel proud – yeah!

• LLADYBIRD January 19, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Yeah, I learned crocheting a few years ago and I can do pretty basic stuff – squares, granny squares, and roses. I just prefer knitting! And this pattern is reeeeal easy :)

Thank you! I’m trying to learn new skills with every project I do. I don’t need a hundred scarves and washcloths hahaha

15. Marie January 19, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Wow, you’re one fast learner!!! The slippers are so cute, I want to make them now…I also want that cowl…so many things to make and so little time!

16. zilredloh January 19, 2012 at 9:44 am #

They’re amazing! I LOOOOOVE the bunny slippers. I’ve forgotten about that pattern; you may have just sent me over the edge to make my own. heh

Your knitting lookes great btw, nice and even stitches. I’m glad you learnt how to graft stitches I think the little details in knitting really pays off to have a nice finished project like your cowl.

Love them both!