i managed to get some pictures of the birthday dress over the weekend! here’s to hoping this is my final post on vogue 1227 :)
hehe @ my face in the mirror!
ok, story time: i initially made this dress with a hot pink invisible zipper. it went in beautifully; i had the lining slip-stitched all the way around the damn thing & i was very proud of the finished zip action. put the dress on to go to dinner, and the stupid zipper decided to completely pull itself apart – i guess it was just a faulty zipper :( at any rate, i had to do a rush change & then a rush zipper installation when i got home. the replacement zipper is kind of shoddy; i mean, it’s straight & sandwiched neatly in the lining, but i could have done a better job making it, you know, NOT exposed. oh well, don’t care! i’ll deal with it later (aka i’m never touching that thing again)
i am SO PLEASED with how the bodice ended up fitting (despite numerous alterations/piecing). the top did not gape at all during the party, everything stayed perfectly into place. and it was very comfortable, even though the entire thing was double-interfaced. win!
in closing, a few things:
- MAKE A MUSLIN. even if muslins aren’t really your “thing,” it is absolutely necessary with this dress. this is one of the worst drafted patterns i have ever dealt with, and i was thankful i had the muslin to work out any kinks. there were a lot of kinks! do yourself a favor & cut a muslin first!
- consider using twill tape or fabric selvedge to cup the bra cups so you aren’t gaping all over the place
- although the dress is double interfaced, it is actually quite comfortable. don’t skip the lining interfacing; it really makes a difference in how the dress fits
- make sure your lining matches your fabric because it is absolutely visible in the skirt folds
- the finished length is pretty short (it’s mid-thigh on me & i’m 5’2″!), so make sure you lengthen before cutting if you aren’t comfortable baring ass in a flouncy skirt
i think that’s about it! i am absolutely pleased with my dress & i especially am happy with my fabric choice :) can’t wait to find more excuses to wear this lil’ guy over the course of the summer!