picking up from where i left off, still working on vogue 1227, aka my birthday dress. actually, i almost gave up on this dress completely… and in all honesty, we’re still not out of the woods on that one. but i carry on, mostly because i’d feel really bad wasting this barkcloth. ughhh.
this pattern: hardest pattern i’ve ever sewn. not because it is complicated, but there are SO.MANY.ALTERATIONS. and i am not normally one with a difficult body to fit – a FBA, sometimes i reduce the shoulders, and i usually end up reducing the waist. i’m pretty sure i’ve redrafted this entire pattern at this point. ridiculous! after i was done with my redrafting, none of the pieces matched up at the top. this is not an error on my part – i only adjusted the sides, not the top of the pattern pieces. of course, this was after i already cut out + interfaced 30+ pieces, so now i’ve just been piecing bands to add to the tops to make everything match.
oh, and the whole thing cuts so low, i can’t wear a bra with it. that may or may not have been the pattern’s intention, but i like wearing bras. so i had to add ruffles to the tops of the boobie cups.
i think the bodice shell is finished now. in addition to sewing on ruffles, i sewed 1/4″ selvedge to the inside of the cups, slightly gathered, so they would cup to my chest & not gape all over the place.
i wasn’t gonna show y’all this, but whatev – check out how messy the inside of the bodice is! i sewed & ripped & sewed sooo many times; there are threads everywhere! the entire bodice is interfaced, & there is boning under the cups just like in a bra.
another adjustment i made – i had to add a little patch between the cups to make the middle match up. see that seam? it was that much off! of course, it looks really shabby now, but i will probably just make a little bow to cover it with.
so now that the bodice is finally done, i got the skirt pieces put together. pretty weird assembly instructions on this thing – they want you to sew the lining to the skirt right sides together at the bottom, turn right-side-out, and then understitch… just like sewing lining into a bodice. not that i’m complaining – there are two skirts, and that would be a LOT of hand-hemming. just thought it was interesting. i hope i can get the invisible zipper in there, since i had to sew up the skirt back. who am i kidding, i’ll either macguyver that shit in there or use a regular zipper. i am SO OVER this dress at this point!