vogue 9668: a labor of love

1 Mar

i am calling this dress a labor of love because i don’t think i’ve ever put so much time & patience into a casual sundress. what started out as a simple v2.0 pattern turned into an episode of how-difficult-can-i-make-this-project. i am, however, extremely happy with the end result!

so here’s where we left off:

before i share pictures, a few field notes on this project:
used vogue 9668 and make a LOT of changes. i didn’t even look at the instructions this time around!
changes made:
– full bust adjustment
– added 1/2″ to each pattern piece at the waistline. i noticed when i sewed up my darts in the bodice, the sides did not match up and i had to trim about 1/2″. clearly, i still suck at FBAs. don’t tell anyone.
– stabilized the neckline -front & back – with silk organza
– added piping to the neckline, midriff & sleeves. made the piping, too!
– ooh, guise, i remembered to interfacing the midriff! u proud?
– opted to line the bodice with lightweight cotton
– omitted the skirt lining
– bias-bound the invisible zipper
– added 2″ horsehair braid to the skirt hem

i think that’s it?

sorry i cut off my head there… i was trying to ~change the scenery~ since my bedroom is kind of boring. and look! i’m actually wearing shoes!! :)

i mostly took this picture so you could see the background. the R stands for red, obvs.

i forgot to take a picture of the back!

apologies for the rogue thread there. my darts definitely need some work

sleeve piping

some detail shots…

and from the department of cute:
my cat, using my pincushion as a pillow ♥

13 Responses to “vogue 9668: a labor of love”

1. Nikki March 1, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Wow! This dress turned out so beautiful and you look great in it! I would want to wear this everyday if I made a dress that beautiful!

Great job!

xxoo -N

2. Jaclyn Parks March 1, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Stunning, Lauren, really beautiful!!

3. Lisa March 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Great job, it turned out beautifully. I love the piping.

4. Evita March 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

Bravo, it turned out beautifully!

5. Ginnie March 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

You have absolutely inspired me to use piping in my next project. I don’t even know what I’m making yet, but I know it’ll have piping! :) Excellent job… looks phenomenal on you.

6. Kat March 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Gorgeous! It looks fantastic on you and it is so perfect. Great work!

7. Amber March 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

This dress is beautiful and I will have to find this pattern immediately! I love the piping and the fit is perfect! I just found your blog…might have to look around awhile.

8. lauren March 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

lauren, that dress is insanely lovely!! you look beautiful.

9. Andrea March 7, 2011 at 7:44 am #

This is fabulous. I love the pink piping. You’ve inspired me to giving piping a go on my next project. Great job, your dress looks awesome!

10. LaKaribane March 12, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Pipping looks fantastic and love the hem treatment. I have that pattern (I think) and you make me want to make it soon.

Re: darts, have you tried ironing them over the curve of a tailor hem? I just tried this recently and it works wonders. Makes them less pointy and more natural.

I also wonder if you shouldn’t shorten your bust darts a bit, maybe by 1 inch? Keeping the end of the legs the same place but marking a point below the apex.

11. Garnet March 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

This is beautiful! I think piping makes everything instantly 10x cuter.

It looks lovely on you!

12. Ellen March 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Perfect dress! Bravo!

1. Me Made May – Week 5 Roundup « LLADYBIRD - June 1, 2012

[…] success – albeit not nearly long enough, as I still have masses of handmade clothing yet to be worn. Oh well! Since wearing my stuff wasn’t really much of a challenge, I tried to mix up […]